Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • recommend me a seatpost rack
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Looking at surly steamroller for my gf but it doesn't have eyelets to mount a rack (which she wants)

What seatpost racks are people using and are they any good? it wuld just be to carry some shopping not touring etc

Coleman
    Free Member

Topeak MTX Beamracks seem pretty good IMO;

http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks

brassneck

I'd go with that myself (and may well be soon) but Tesco did a simple cheap QR one that might be sufficient?

TiRed

+1 for Topeak Beamrack. Note Road ones don't take MTX bags. I have one on my Airnimal. The bags are NOT pannier replacements and are not the greatest shape for shopping. More of a day bag really.

So I added one of these from Rixen and Kaul's Klickfix range. It is FANTASTIC for just popping out to the shops. Take it off to go in and collect the shopping. Can upset the handling if over-loaded.

boxfish
    Free Member

I use one of these with pannier bags on my hardtail commuter – cheap & effective. Oh, and it's not QR.

Halfords jobby

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for the Topeak beam rack / slide on bag combo. Did 350 miles touring this summer with one (on my Roubaix…) and it worked a treat. I have to admit I swapped the carbon post for an alloy one for it, but other than that it was a perfect addition for lightweight mini touring.

I have a funny feeling that Halfords have them with 1/3 off at the moment, plus cashback if you go via TopCashBack too…

I'm thinking of using it for my commute on the other road bike, though I don't know what the water resistance of the panniers is like – it doesn't have taped seams or waterproof zips. I've used it for shopping trips and the side panniers hold pretty much a small carrier bag full of shopping each side – plus you can detach the panniers very quickly and take the whole setup into the shops too. The top part is insulated so good for a couple of bits of frozen stuff for a short trip home.

gordimhor

I bought one from raleighs web site my advice was nothing but hassle tried to use it on a couple of overnight trips with only very light load went and bought a conventional rack from LBS

giantjason
    Free Member

boxfish – how does the rack fit onto the frame. It looks as if it is bolted to the seatpost but how does it connect at the bottom near the hub/QR?

i have been looking for something similar as my frame has no eyelets and has an afline bolt through hub…….trying to source a rack to fit this is nigh impossible.

fontmoss
    Free Member

seatpost racks just (normally) attach to the seatpost so can be used on pretty much any bike regardless of eyelets

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Giantjason – they just clamp around the seatpost – and have no other fixings, hence their use on bikes that don't have any rack eyes. They're limited on max. weight (I think the Topeak is 7kg) but useful nonetheless.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a seatpost rack’ is closed to new replies.