Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a seat clamp – not quick release
  • filks

I have an On One Scandal and have the – so I understand – not uncommon problem of needing to really tighten the seat post clamp up to prevent the post slipping (I’m talking even when using carbon paste here).

I have just snapped my current Hope clamp alloy bolt through over-tightening, so when I replace it I’m after a steel bolt!

TIA for your suggestions

druidh
    Free Member

I haven’t tried on, but how about one of these…

One bolt tightens around the seatpost, the other around the seat tube.

neninja
    Free Member

Chromag is the best available I would say. Having also owned Hope I would say the Chromag is worth the extra £s.

I also use the Syntace Superlock which is excellent in wet muddy conditions as it has a wiper seal on the top which stops crap getting down the seat tube. It’d easy to do up and the seatpost has never moved.

Oops – both QR but they’ve never moved a millimetre. I’ve got a Thomson 35mm bolt up clamp which looks nice – I’ve never actually used it though. It’s in the bag still.

amplebrew

I like my Thomson seat clamp.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Was talking about this the other day, not a Scandal though in my case.. I’d snapped a Hope clamp too, so went for a Nukeproof one. Still got creaking and slippage even with it done up tight.
    I managed to fit half a redbull can as a shim round the seatpost with a little lip to hold it in place under the clamp. It seems to have stopped it creaking, but not ridden it yet to see about the slipping.

druidh
    Free Member

My Scandal has been OK with the On One seatclamp.

br
    Free Member

Is your seatpost the right size?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Salsa lip-lock

craigxxl
    Free Member

Thomson grips really tight without having to over tightening the clamp.

filks

Anyone using the Thomson one on a scandal or other On One frame?

They do look great and they have the steel bolt I’m after….

chiefgrooveguru

The Thomson one is really good – my Gravity Dropper is much happier with it than the previous Hope QR – hasn’t moved since I got it (the bit that shouldn’t) and the innards aren’t squished into mechanical stickiness.

fenred
    Free Member

Not sure about the scandal but ran a spank tweet on my old 26er inbred and it never skipped a beat…bestest sp clamp I ever had 😥

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Eek anything cheaper than the thomson? I’m getting a dropper post and thinking about a plain clamp rather than QR.
    no its not essential, more nice to have – hence wondering about anything cheaper but still quite tasty…

bigbloke
    Free Member

My steel Whyte 19 has a Thomson seat clamp on it now as all others i tried just did not stop post slipping. Works brilliantly post has not moved since fitting.

Northwind

The Gusset one is pretty damn sturdy

filks

Hmmmmmm – looks like I’m going to avoid looking at the cost when checking out but go for a Thomson then! Seat clamp will be worth more than the seatpost……. 😀

Thanks for the help!

chrisdw
    Free Member

My Salsa one is pretty good.

You sure you have the right seatpost size? I have seen someone with similar symptoms. Only reason was a slightly too small seatpost.

colournoise

Northwind – Member
    The Gusset one is pretty damn sturdy

Agreed. Gusset Clench is my go to VFM seatclamp of choice. Had various sizes holding up various posts in various frames (both with and without shims) with not a hint of slippage.

slainte 🙂 rob

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a seat clamp – not quick release’ is closed to new replies.