Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a saddle
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Looking for a new saddle as the Fabric that came on my Aeris 120 was too slippy. I then went for an SDG Circuit that looked great, is nice and light but a bit too hard for me (see it in the classifieds!). So I am after a recommendation for a comfy, light seat for £50 max. (Not a Spoon by the way)

danti

Bel Air 1, not 2, with Ti rails for lightness.

muggomagic

Specialized Henge, the sport version is only around £30

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I was about to say BelAir 2…

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m also in the same position…the giant contact sl saddle that came on the reign is very narrow and after about 10 rides i just dont find it comfortable

im also looking at a spoon as i had one on my previous bike or a sgd bel air

previous bike ran a sdg circuit so i know exactly what you mean OP…its a very hard saddle

im also considering a fizik gobi or arione simply because of the wing flex technology might make them more comfortable and the fact that they are both slightly longer saddles which should give me a better seating position for climbing

i wouldnt mind getting a bit of a heads up first on the fizik saddles from anyone who uses them on whether theyre worth considering

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m considering the Fizik’s too gonzy, look comfortable but so many models to choose from. Had a bel air in the past so thats a contender too.

tjagain

Saddles are very personal but the comfiest I have found is bontrager SSR

Gilles

Well I’ve been using Fizik Gobi for several years now because I really really like them – However they are expensive and they are rarely reduced, and I need to buy a new one because they get damaged very quickly. My latest one is still good but does look battered. So I like to try something else but i worry i will be disappointed as the Gobi is just so good.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’m considering the Fizik’s too gonzy, look comfortable but so many models to choose from. Had a bel air in the past so thats a contender too.

i’ve had a few bel airs in the past too and have always found them very comfy but i i’m tempted by the length of the fiziks

a bit of a dilemma for me at the moment 😕

lunge

Why don’t you find a dealer with saddles you can try before you buy? Specialized, Fizik and Selle Italia all have trial saddles available. Yes, you’ll end up paying RRP for the saddle but that’s a small price to play for comfort IMO.

Personally, I like Selle Italia saddles, the original shape Flite and the latter day Flite Flow but you backside may not be the same as mine!

SirHC

I have gone through quite a few saddles and in the end wen’t to Evans and picked up a Specialized Phenom, had my sit bones measured and ended up on a 143mm width. 6 hours riding and no discomfort or numbness.

Good bibshorts are really important, supportive pad and held in the right place. I get on well with castelli, pricey but good.

dantsw13

Since losing weight this year (2.5stone) my road bike saddle has started giving me “numb bits” over about 50km. It was great before.

I’ve never had a saddle “fitted” how would I go about this?

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

The short answer is i can’t recommend you a good saddle. It’s too personal of a thing. That said there is a Fizik app that allows you to see what’s an appropriate saddle for you based on flexibility and other bio-mechanics. But it’s such am individual choice, the best and most comfortable saddle for me has been a non brand saddle from a 2004 Claud-Butler cape wrath. Nothing for me has ever been as comfortable.

alanf
    Free Member

SDG Ti Fly C, its sort of in between a circuit and a bel air.
    Not sure if you can still get em though

leythervegas
    Free Member

Took the plunge and gone for this….

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-gobi-m5-vs-saddle-with-kium-rails/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100015673&kpid=100015673&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csA8CumMeW_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789502%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c100015673uk

Looks a good saddle and its £30 cheaper than CRC so bit of a bargain. Think it looks better than the standard Gobi and it has a ‘central relief channel’ which sounds like it can only be a good thing.

dantsw13

I’m going for a fabric line with relief channel.

sparkyrhino

Measure your sit bones, pretty simple to do at home or lbs for a measure,I measured mine and found i needed a wide width perch,A few good saddles in differing widths at your budget.
    Your trumpton will thank you , PS avoid the bel air 2 they are cack

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Go to a Spesh dealer and get their assometer on. Beg borrow and steal time on friend’s saddles.

Most comfortable seats for me so far have been discontinued (various older Specialized Body Geometry models, notably Indie XC and Sonoma). Now the BG range have been redesigned and have much wider, flatter noses for some reason, which don’t suit me.

Other seats I’ve enjoyed (but less so)

Bel Air
    Gobi XM
    Ancient worn-in (not by me) Brooks B-17 on a friend’s old bike. Like a cossetting hammock of wonder.
    Note: I had previously tried a new one but hated it, it remained rock solid and shiny even after 6 months of 22 miles per day commuting and some touring

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a saddle’ is closed to new replies.