Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a rowing machine!
  • hopefiendboy

Looking for an alternative exercise enthod, at home, without paying gym fees and stuff. Turbo trainer is out. Not wanting to spend mega bucks, and a qiet ish machine would be preferable. Not got loads of space so compact/folding would be good.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I reckon the general consensus will be Concept2 with the occasional alternative of WaterRower being suggested. Neither of which are cheap.

-m-
    Free Member

Good ones are expensive. Be sure you’ll use it before spending. I had a Waterrower for years, but it ended up gathering dust in the corner most of the time. Still, it looked nice and I made a reasonable amount back by selling it on eBay…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

concept2 are the ones nearly all gym’s use, and for a good reason, they work, they dont fall apart, they feel (relatively) realistic, reasnobly quiet, adjustable resistance, and the computer readout has enough functions to keep anyone happy, especialy the newer ones with the force/time graph, very usefull for identifying where weakeness’ in your stroke are in real time. Should show a cross between a rectangle and a semi circle, maximum force when the oars are perpendicular to the boat, but wide enough to be doing a meaningfull ammoutn of work. Avoid a little hump forming at the end, thats your back muscles pulling your shoulders back and can give problems.

Had a brief go on one of the water ones a few years back, feels good, nicer noise, but lacks the C2’s computer and the price tag makes you think ‘HOW MUCH!’

GTDave
    Free Member

As stated, the Concepr2 rowers are the really good ones.
    However, for home use, the air resistance models such as the Beny V-Fit are fine (and go for a reasonable price on Ebay).

Olly
    Free Member

my lady has a water rower, and doesnt get on with it, and cant say why, it just doesnt feel right apparently.
    shes big into her rowing, so maybe its a niggle that comes with much knowledge, but maybe its something that u need to try out, like a bike, rather than buy online?

jimmy

Again, Concept2. I prefer the older model like this…

antigee

the concept2 is the best but is hard to justify the money unless you have wads of spare cash – for home use i’ve got an unbranded air/fan resistance rower that costs about £150 and works fine and dandy – folds up as well – main thing to check is that stroke feels right – especially if you are tall – i’m not and my budget rower is slightly shorter in stroke than a concept2

the sort with the hydraulic arms are a complete waste of money

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rowing machine!’ is closed to new replies.