Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a roof box for the car.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That’s about it really. Thinking a half width one so we would still have enough room for a couple of bikes. Which brands should I be looking at? Been looking on http://www.roofbox.com as we need the bars as well.

glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/about.aspx

They are out at Livingston – might be worth a trip out to see what the quality is like.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I’ve got a Halfords 360 ltr half width , but I can only get one bike rack with it (Thule). My aero bars are quite narrow right enough. May be for sale soon as buying a trailer in the next 2weeks, once I’ve wired up the towbar I’ve fitted. (in Glasgow)

captain-slow
    Free Member

take a look at indespension.com – have used them a couple of times including for our current roofbox and very satisfied

ratadog

Went with the roofbox company as I had been happy dealing with them before. Took their advice and went for a Kamei Delphin 340. Gives room on the bars alongside for a cycle carrier and swallows a lot of kit. Not regretted the purchase.

petrieboy

Kamei husky from the roof box company here. Really happy with it. Easy to fit, secure, good size and no discernible impact on mpg.

Great service from roofboxco too. I think they have a good exchange policy too

scotroutes

Pity you don’t want a short/wide one. I have a Thule sitting idle in my garden. Pick it up and it’s yours.

davetrave
    Free Member

@scotroutes, which model, how old, condition, price, etc, and whereabouts are you?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I picked up a Volvo Weekender through ebay for £80 from a Volvo dealership. Its sort of 3/4 length and 3/4 width.

Designed by Thule, so same shape as one of theirs, same locks, fittings, hinges but made out of a more flexible plastic so it bends rather than shatters if its impacted. And its plain black (with the badge taken off)

win-win situation 🙂

davetrave
    Free Member

@scotroutes:

and whereabouts are you?

Sorry, obviously in Scotland but what I meant to say was, in relation to Elgin…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Note – scotroute’s box doesn’t fit on aerobars. I tried and failed 🙁

kcal

roof box company here for me too – Kamei something or other 10 years ago, really good solid box, long and narrow ish though.

Range of fittings for aerobars and I assume box section too.

scotroutes is down in outer Edinburgh IIRC. waves to Elgin resident..

GrahamS

Anyone got any experience of foldable roof boxes like the Thule Ranger?

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/boxes-and-baskets/foldable-roof-boxes/thule-ranger-_-family_360839

We could do with a box for road trips with the kids, but I don’t really want a massive box taking up valuable bike space in the shed.

scotroutes

🙂 stevenmenmuir knows exactly where I live. Oh : and the box is the same shape as that Volvo one above

dooosuk
    Free Member

You want a boat too don’t you?
    http://www.boatbox.co.uk/

davetrave
    Free Member

waves to Elgin resident..

*waves back. Unfortunately work means I spend more time away than I’d like, a once a month blast around Oak Wood or a weekend in Aviemore with the family is about the best I manage at the moment…

marcus7
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kamei Husky XL (i think) from the roofbox company (next day delivery!) and i have to say its been great if a little bit big! And its pretty waterproof (tested on a two hour drive to the lakes in very heavy rain!)

jamiea
    Free Member

Another vote for the Kamei Husky from Roof Box. I brought ours last year with a set of Whispbars, the wider through bars, and I reckon I can just about get two Thule 532s on their with the box according to their quoted sizes.

It’s sooo much easier packing the car for a camping trip with the box, even allowing for all the extra stuff, and car seat, for a toddler!

Fuel consumption isn’t too bad either, I reigned it in a bit a couple of weeks ago- stayed below 70 most of the time- and still got over 50mpg from our diesel Cee’d.

Cheers,
    Jamie

glupton1976
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of foldable roof boxes like the Thule Ranger?

Yip – they are total crap. The fixings are inside the bag and are so big the it renders the thing useless. That and the zip falls to bits. I took mine back to the shop and got a refund.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That’s tempting Colin. I don’t think we’ll be taking our bikes this time, just the kids bikes on the back. I take it that it wouldn’t leave space for any bikes on the roof?

scotroutes

I’ve done it with one bike and the box but it might depend on the car width/style e.g. some of those bars fitted to roof rails are a bit short. It’s here anyway, even if you just want to borrow it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and with a bag if you park anywhere, some scallywag with a knife walks up to your car, cuts the bag and disappears with the contents.

I’ve just bought an Exodus (Halfords) one. 360L, gloss black, quick release fittings, half width ski-box type thing. £80 on eBay but they are on offer for £200 new at the moment IIRC.

bigG
    Free Member

I just bought a Kamei box from roofbox.co.uk at a massive discount for an ex display one. Reduced from £300 to £240. No damage but it’s been out of the box so they can’t sell as new.

Have a look at their ex display / returns boxes some real bargains in there.

I’ve had a thule box in the the past and have to say that I think the Kamei box is as good, and a fraction of the price.

Coleman
    Free Member

The Halfords Exodus range might be worth a look – half price at the moment plus another 10% off with roof bars. If BC member another 10% also.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_709089_langId_-1_categoryId_165500
    No frills design but quality seems ok – more than likely old style Thule boxes rebadged.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

get onto ebay, loads on there for way less than new.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a roof box for the car.’ is closed to new replies.