Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a road wheel
  • fanatic278
    Free Member

As luck would have it, just when my car starts going kaput, Christmas costs and dishwasher needs replacing, my rear wheel decides to crack on me.

As I have never bought a road wheel before, can anyone recommend me a rear wheel to replace my Mavic Askium. Must match the silver one on the front and be about the same quality, ideally less than £100.

njee20
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium? 😕

fanatic278
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium?

Struggling to find a silver one to match the front…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rootes1

how old?
    worth trying a warranty?

silver one here £104
    http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=60474

fanatic278
    Free Member

Probably 5 years old. Cycled through the winter roads of Aberdeenshire. Can’t complain.

Cheers for finding those.

It seems a bit annoying that I can buy a new pair inc. tyres for £172 here

I might cough up for the pair. Maybe only a matter of time before the front one goes…. Before I do that, now that my search parameters have changed, anything better for the same price / less for a pair?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

used aksiums?

these (not mine, nor do I know seller) apparently only 200 miles, currently 80 quid with 40 mins left?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Aksium-Road-Wheels-Shimano-Sram-in-Silver-/221174462086?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337f067686

jonba
    Free Member

look on planet-x, merlin or ribble and see what is on offer.

TheSanityAssassin

[hijack]
    Fulcrum Racing 5’s for £174.36 + extra 7% off at Ribble this weekend.
    Any good?
    [/hijack]

fanatic278
    Free Member

used aksiums?

these (not mine, nor do I know seller) apparently only 200 miles, currently 80 quid with 40 mins left?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Aksium-Road-Wheels-Shimano-Sram-in-Silver-/221174462086?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337f067686

Cheers for the heads up. Sadly I was outbid.

What about them Fulcrum Racing 5’s? Look interesting option.

mugsys_m8

Well, the Fulcrum 7’s, last time I looked at such things (about 3 years ago) were the equivalent for the Aksium, so the 5 is a better wheel.

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, and I’ve got a pair, not a fan of the Aksium’s. Mavic make great rims, but rubbish hubs IMO. I’d go for something else.

Several places are doing Shimano RS10’s for around £100 a pair right now. Not an upgrade, but they’re a good solid wheel with reliable hubs that’s on a par with the Aksium’s. Or you could go for some RS20’s that are a tiny bit lighter.

The Fulcrum Racing 5’s are probably a minor upgrade. Not bad wheels, and a good price from Ribble to be fair.

If you want ultimate reliability though, some 32 hole Mavic Open Pro’s built onto hubs of your choice with DT Comp spokes by an experienced wheelbuilder still can’t really be beaten. 5 years out of a pair of Aksium’s ain’t at all bad though to be fair!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a road wheel’ is closed to new replies.