Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a road training tyre please.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

In the past I’ve been happy with the Specialized Armadillo and the Maxxis Refuse, I was very disappointed with the Michelin 4 Endurance. Not sure what to go for next, might get the Maxxis again but suggestions welcome!

oldgit
    Free Member

Rubino Pro 3, cheap chearfull light’ish and tough

nammynake
    Free Member

Continental GP4000s.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I thought the GP4000 was a race tyre?

nammynake
    Free Member

Plenty of people may use them for racing but they are very robust, pretty light, grippy and roll well. Check out the many reviews online…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Conti 4 seasons on the rear, gp4000s on the front, both 25c. Best of both worlds.

scaredypants

I agree with your original comments; I’ve found armadillos and refuse to be very flint-proof. Currently got an ultremo DD on that’s not as shit as I expected

Armadillos, utterly indestructible IME though people say they have no grip in the wet

oldgit
    Free Member

Rubino Pro 3, cheap chearfull light’ish and tough

£17.60 any colour you like

TiRed

Schwalbe Durano S. Commuted on mine all winter and ridden club runs; light, fast, good in the wet and not too expensive. Available in colours other than black, if that’s your thing (mine are silver).

hounslow
    Free Member

Maxxis Refuse, used them for commuting all last year.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Lithion 2’s for me cheap and light, £15 each. I commute on them as well and they’re good in all weathers.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What do people think of the conti gator skin?

mrmo
    Free Member

currently using a conti ultrasport? horrible, no grip roll badly, but they were cheap and have done 3000miles and only just starting to show some wear on the back.

plus-one

Another GP 4000s vote… super grippy/robust cracking all rounders.. I’ve had too many close calls and offs on cheap or coloured cheap tyres 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

What do people think of the conti gator skin?

I have those on my winter hack. Tough as old boots, but have very poor grip, but as heavy winter rides are shorter and slower I don’t mind.
    I have the Rubinos on my training bike, they seem better than just a compromise and I have no issues on club runs with full on race bikes.
    I also keep a pair of them in 25c which are going on in a weeks time for the French cobbles, then again when I race the Omloop Van Der Drie Dorpen road race.
    However any tire with a good reputation will be a good tyre.

Edit Rubinos do come up wide.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Lithion 2 all day every day.

Apart from today where I’ve been using pro 4 endurance. :mrgreen:

michaelmcc
    Free Member

“Apart from today where I’ve been using pro 4 endurance.”

Wouldn’t be fan of those at all myself, the pair I have have punctured more than any other “training” tyre Ive had.

jonk

vredestein tricomp for me £22 at my LBS nothing better for the money and grippy as hell!

mickolas
    Free Member

+1 for rubino pro 3. used them in 23 and 25. I prefer the 25 for comfort with very little speed sacrifice on smooth. in fact they are faster on broken tarmac (which is about all I seem to find). not the fastest or grippiest but reasonable and with excellent puncture resistance.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a road training tyre please.’ is closed to new replies.