Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Recommend me a road bike
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Now before you all jump in I’ve never owned a road bike! So be gentle! I do have some requirements
    Steel
    Can fit bike luggage to it if desired
    Not racey geometry
    I intend to run 10 or 11 speed cassette
    Also must be disc brakes compatible

Would like to get into bikepacking with my youngest son so needs to be comfortable! (I’m 47!)

I have looked at one bike I like but you lot may say otherwise, it’s the Cotic Escapade.
    Your thoughts appreciated.

Ioneonic

Drop bar bike? My Salsa Fargo is all the above (especially the comfort side), so much so that I’ve just bought a Fargo titanium frame to build up as well. Welcome to try it out if you are near Bath. It is the opposite of racey geometry. Most of the bikes I looked at were long/low compared to the Fargo but a couple of newer bikes are very similar and will soon be more readily available new in the UK (although Fargos are a great second hand buy).
    Bombtrack Beyond
    Light Blue Darwin
    Both look like great bikes but I was particularly impressed with the value of the built up Darwins (One By and Two Way Street).
    I use mine for exactly the purpose you intend (with my 10y old son), although I am using racks/panniers at present.

aP
    Free Member

Mason Resolution

Bregante

Genesis Croix/Tour De Fer

Ive had a Croix De Fer. Not light but incredibly comfortable.

The new Singular Kite looks lovely.

fudge9202
    Free Member

That Mason looks lovely but out of my budget.
    Not keen on the looks of the Kite.

Anyone got the Cotic Escapade?

irvb

Edit: missed the disc requirement….

I love my Surly Pacer, built up with 105. In the summer its naked and shod with Rivendell Jack Brown tyres. Currently in winter commuter mode with rear rack, panniers, mudguards and Gatorskins.

I’ve been idly looking at the Genesis Vagabond or Spesh AWOL as a bridleway tourer – a poor man’s Salsa Deadwood.

Bregante

Surly Straggler might be another to consider.

stuc
    Free Member

I have an Escapade and sounds to meet a lot of your requirements, but it is also the case of recommending what I own.

I don’t find that I loose out too much on out and out road speed apart from fast descending as the Escapade is 1 x 10.

Mine spends as much time off road as it does on, slightly jarring on the rougher off road stuff – roots and rocks – but generally very smooth and compliant in most instances (although this is my first bike of this type so nothing really to compare too).

RichieBoy
    Free Member

My Condor Fratello is in the classifieds….. 🙂

Edit: But no discs- should of read the op properly.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

HAve a look at some of the offering from Spa cycles. From all accounts an extremely helpful place too!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Surly straggler. now building up my surly pacer had a try on a customers bike (cheers for loan of it Steve) after that I was hooked by the two surly offerings bigger tyre and guard clearance audaxish geometry and can fit racks and other luggage if required I would have gone straggler but I do like my road callipers (and had a set of wheel I built on the shelf)

Riksbar

I’m looking at the Kona Roadhouse at the moment. What’s the budget?

Kona Roadhouse

fudge9202
    Free Member

I like the look of the roadhouse. I would say max budget is £1500ish!

fudge9202
    Free Member

@stuc did you buy complete or frameset?

iainc

Croix De Fer +1

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Specialized AWOL? Never ridden one but it got a good review on bikepacking.com

stuc
    Free Member

Fork and frame

Built up with 1 x 10, sram apex teamed up with a sram mtb rear mech and an 11 – 36 cassette.

Hope pro 2 evo on stans crests with Hutchinson toro and spez tracer tyres.

Mines biased to an off road build but it’s still nice and smooth and quick on the tarmac and I have considered having spare wheels with some marathons on and smaller cassette.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium
    Planet x Kaffenback
    Condor Fratello Disc

I think the Escapade looks a bit naff TBH

fudge9202
    Free Member

davidtaylforth you’ve nailed it!
    That Condor Fratello Disc is gorgeous especially in Paris Green

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fratello disc is a goodun. Now you mention it, I spent a day in the kitchen building one up. Thought I’d snap you a quick pic.

Been riding one for the last three months, it’s decent.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Very nice Sir!
    I think you’ve convinced me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They seem fairly popular. Mine’s a custom job, but the tubeset is the same, just the geometry is different.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As having absolutely no knowledge of road bike components I’ll be relying on the Stw faithful to keep me on the right track!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Campag/Shimano mix; TRP Spyres; Hunt wheels: some sweet finishing kit; there you go, £1500. That’s my build anyaway. Don’t think I’d change anything on it; perhaps a swap to 10 speed as it seems to wear better.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers Davidtaylforth, time to buy some components, what chain and gear set would you recommend?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Davidtayforth you have the flooring I want in my kitchen dude love terracotta tiles.

shermer75
    Free Member

DTF, they finally sent you one with braze-ons? It looks gert nice btw! Very jealous 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

Another newbie question, are there distinct advantages of a carbon fork over a steel one, some of the more expensive bikes seem to have a mix of both.

househusband

I’m following this thread with interest… sounds like my ‘wants’ are similar to fudge’s.

That Condor seems to tick lots of boxes. I’ve also been perusing over bikes and frames from Bowman, Mason and Shand.

Bregante

The paintjobs on these really aren’t to my taste but otherwise there are some interesting options from The Light Blue

ahwiles
    Free Member

are there distinct advantages of a carbon fork over a steel one, some of the more expensive bikes seem to have a mix of both.

a carbon fork will probably be a few hundred grams lighter, and probably a bit stiffer.

More or less, carbon forks are ‘better’. But yes, they’re more expensive.

a few people feel that a carbon fork on a steel frame is not cool, that somehow, ‘real’ is not being kept (think: ‘Dylan goes electric’, and you’re somewhere close).

shermer75
    Free Member

“JUDAASS!!!”

fudge9202
    Free Member

Bregante you’ve thrown a spanner in the works with The Light Blue Robinson Frameset. Very nice and I’m a sucker for an orange bike, currently have my Spearfish in orange

Bregante

They get a good write up too.

It would be lovely without the “signature” light blue stripes! As someone else on here pointed out I can’t look at it without thinking

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yes and at £499 leaves more in the budget for nice components.
    Recommendations for a drivetrain/ drop bars and brakes would be appreciated as I’ve no idea

Bregante

I’m not up on disc groupset myself but have a look at Hunt Wheelsets (Masons owns brand). They look the business in my humble opinion.

tekp2
    Free Member

Very happy with my genesis equilibrium, which ticks your boxes. Previously had a kaffenback which sits in the same category but is cheaper.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

cannondaleking – Member
    Davidtayforth you have the flooring I want in my kitchen dude love terracotta tiles.

😀 they’re lovely aren’t they! Hard wearing, look good when they’ve been battered (adds character) and easy to clean. I only rent the spot though….

shermer75 – Member
    DTF, they finally sent you one with braze-ons? It looks gert nice btw! Very jealous

Aye; have enjoyed the last three months on the other one though.

Cheers Davidtaylforth, time to buy some components, what chain and gear set would you recommend?

Get that Robinson frame; I looked at it a few weeks ago and thought it seemed spot on in terms of geo etc. Get whatever groupset has a good deal on it (not Campag cos it’ll be dear). Probably Shimano 105. Buy all your finishing kit off ebay second hand to save big dollar.

fudge9202
    Free Member

davidtaylforth funny I had sort of decided on that Robinson frame with the hunter wheels you recommended. I’ll check out eBay for drivetrain, was going to run TRP Spyre brakes.
    Now to sell a load of mtb parts to fund it all but keeping my Salsa Spearfish 29er!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These are the ones you want I’d have thought. Should be OK for some light weight bike packing. Best check with them though. http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-disc-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

I’ve been using the 24 spoke version (the first ones they released last year) for a few months and they’ve been spot on.

105 drivetrain; Spyres: whatever good tyres are on offer at the time; Fizik seatpost; 3T/Deda/Pro/Fizik stem; cheap compact bars (planet x?) and a nice saddle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a road bike’ is closed to new replies.