Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me a river in mid Wales for canoeing with my dad please
  • Mintyjim

I have a pretty decent canoe and when I’m back visiting the folks (in Cardigan) I take the old boy out on the Teifi.

I’m looking for us to be a bit more adventurous with an overnight camp too.

Any recommendations for a river (within 50 – 60 miles drive ideally). Moon on a stick would be a section of about 20 miles of decent paddling, it can be quite rough but not too extreme because my dad is blind.

I really have no idea but open to sugestions!

Cheers

James

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

River Wye is perfect except it’s not mid wales but a little further south. Overnight camping is pretty easy and above symonds yat there are some faster flowing bits that add a little bit of fun without ever really getting into dangerous territory. But it is a little further than might be ideal.

Mintyjim

Cheers MW, I’ve done the Wye before and it was pretty good (I live in Cardiff so it was pretty easy from my house), might have to look at it again as it does tick quite a few boxes except distance from cardigan. Thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm the Severn is just a little too far for you, but good.

salad_dodger

Check out the River Cleddau starting from Welsh Hook and ending in Haverfordwest. Cracking bit of water & surrounding countryside. I know you’ve done the Teifi and for me you can’t beat Llechryd to Cardigan or start further up the river at Cenarth. I’m from Cilgerran so if you need any other information let me know.

Mintyjim

Hi Salad Dodger, my folks recently moved from Cilgerran (Cwmplysgog) back into Cardigan so dad and I used to the Llechryd to Cardigan stretch quite often. Agreed it really is very nice, I’m just after somewher different where we can camp too. I’ll take a look at River Cleddau, I was also considering the River Tywi too

rusty90
    Free Member

Canoeists are pretty unpopular on the Tywi, at least upstream of the Gwili, as this is prime sewin and salmon water.
    The Wye is much more welcoming. There a couple of outfits based at Glasbury who offer canoe hire, guiding etc, including camping trips who might be able to advise.
    http://www.celticcanoes.co.uk/
    http://www.wyevalleycanoes.co.uk/camping.html
    I’ve done Glasbury to Whitney a few times with my sons and it was good (the Boat Inn is a nice place to stop)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a river in mid Wales for canoeing with my dad please’ is closed to new replies.