Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a ride from Wasdale Head
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Or thereabouts. Staying in the Lakes for a few days in May and I fancy getting a bit of a ride in. Usually ride from Keswick or Grizedale when we’re up there, so suggestions are welcome.

Ta!

tomaso
    Free Member

Tour of Great Gable aka Four Pass special – Black Sail, Sty Head, Scarth Gaop and Honister. Can start where ever is easiest Rosthwaite Village Hall, Borrowdale or Wasdale or Buttermere.

jekkyl

the obvious route seems to be black sail, scarth gap, buttermere b/way, B/way over by floutern tarn, through ennerdale forest and back over black sail or for more epicness back over to wastwater by the b/way over Tewitt How and nether beck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers guys, that sounds promising, if possibly a bit too tech – I’ll be on my lonesome, don’t want to be mincing down everything in fear for my life.

bungalistic
    Free Member

You could do a loop around Burnmoor Tarn, can be a bit wet in places, basic description here Burnmoor Tarn loop

grum
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that sounds promising, if possibly a bit too tech – I’ll be on my lonesome, don’t want to be mincing down everything in fear for my life.

Depends on your experience/confidence but I would say on the Four Passes route only Warnscale is truly brutal, and even that isn’t particularly steep in general.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers Grum – mostly ride in the Peak, but I’ve done a fair bit in the Lakes, Snowdon, Ben Lomond etc to I’m not averse to a big mountain or two. Looks fairly easy to plan a shorter route too if I’m low on time.

mrjmt
    Free Member

We’ve done the red one from here, was good and goes through Wasdale where we were camping at the time.

Think you’ll need a back issue for the map or something.

Worth looking up and nothing that’ll kill you to death.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye that sounds promising, and I may well have that issue, I’ll have to have a lookie.

boxelder

back over to wastwater by the b/way over Tewitt How and nether beck

You won’t wear your pedals at least…….

thekettle
    Free Member

If you’re doing the tour of Gable be sure to go anti-clockwise, ie (from Wasdale): Styhead, Honister/Warnscale, Scarth Gap, Black Sail.

Alternatively consider Styhead – Langstrath, Stake Pass – Langdale, Rosset Ghyll – Esk Hause, drop to Styhead and return to Wasdale.

boxelder

For lower options – Up past Burnmoor, stick to ridge top past the lodge to stone circles, descend to Boot through derelict buildings. Cross river and ride to Muncaster Fell. Back through lanes to Eskdale School and into Mitredale. Climb up Mitredale and pass Burnmoor on NW side to Wasdale. In Mitredale, you can follow fire roads to top of fell (Hammer Pass on strava) and descend great BW back onto the river at the bottom.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a ride from Wasdale Head’ is closed to new replies.