Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a reliable car please
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I do 20k miles a year, mostly 40+ miles per journey, mixture of m’way and A-road.

Need to carry two Border Collies, bikes and gear (not all at same time).

Prefer economy over performance, but would like some grunt (110bhp+).

Ideally 12-18 months old low miler with £12k budget.

I would something that I could easily put 100k miles on it with long-term reliability.

Thanks!

buckster
    Free Member

Ford Tourneo Connect

Gary_M
    Free Member

Honda accord tourer, ours is 11 years old, 160k and been very reliable mechanically. Cople of minor things gone wrong – abs light on due to faulty sensor and exhaust manifold cracked which was a known issue in cars that age.

Yak

The previous shape civic was the most reliable car I’ve ever had. In your position I would be after a new shape civic tourer.

dmck16
    Free Member

Don’t think you could go wrong with a Ford Focus – hatch or estate versions. The newer 1.5tdci unit has enough poke for most folk, (test drove a few different cars last year).
    I’ve got the same engine in my Fiesta although the power output is tuned down low compared to what is offered on the Focus. Fuel economy is good (real world +60mpg, on similar roads to you, and not hanging around).
    Not sure what the service intervals are on the Focus, but they’re only 12.5k on the Fiesta which I think is a little low compared to others.

If I had a bigger budget then I’d have considered the 2.0L tdci Focus ST..

fifeandy
    Free Member

The previous shape civic was the most reliable car I’ve ever had. In your position I would be after a new shape civic tourer.

There was a fairly large issue with the clutches on the 2.2cdti that Honda like to pretend doesn’t exist, but the internet seems to think is pretty widespread. The new 1.6 i-DTEC may not have the problem, but worth doing some researching on.

longmover
    Free Member

Volvo V60, there are a few around for that budget.

doris5000

a mate just picked up an 18 month old Mazda 6 for about £12K. He’s chuffed with it.

It had about 35K miles on the clock, but if you’re planning on adding a lot more that’s not a big issue – once you get there, the difference between (say) 135K and 150K isn’t huge providing it’s been well looked after…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Honda Civic

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Happy Ford focus s driver here.

tallmart10

Had a Honda Accord 2001 for 180k miles without breaking down once
    Now got a 2.2CDti Civic 2010 model – done 100k without any mishaps. Drives like new still.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There was a fairly large issue with the clutches on the 2.2cdti that Honda like to pretend doesn’t exist

Which year and what was the issue?

surfer
    Free Member

Majority of cars are built to very similar quality now. Very few poor quality manufacturers around cars as they simply wouldnt be in buisness very long.

I have a Mercedes which has been fantastic from new (110k now) and an Alfa Mito which has also been faultless (done 40k in it) both are driven sensibly and serviced and maintained as required. If you are “mechanically sympathetic” you may find that most of your cars are “reliable” if you thrash them when cold etc and skip services then you may find that you own “unreliable” cars.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Which year and what was the issue?

Clutch starts slipping anywhere from about 10k miles – mine was a 2006 (56) and started going at about 22k. Very expensive repair as it can require a replacement dual mass flywheel.

However, in better news, I’ve done some more digging since my last post, and apparently Honda did acknowledge the problem by 2009 and cars produced late 2010 onward should no longer have the problem.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mine is a 2005 and thankfully doesn’t have that issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a reliable car please’ is closed to new replies.