Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a rear tyre if you will.
  • simonb51
    Free Member

Hi all, looking to try out a different rear tyre for trail centre rides. You know the hard packed under a wee bit of lose man made trails. Fast rolling is a must and tubeless.

Been running a Rock Razor but can’t gell with it, sidewalls really let it down.

Looking along the lines of a Tomahawk or Minion SS. Is there any others worth a look?

Ta.

qwerty
    Free Member

Specialized Slaughter Grid

Tracey

+ 1 for the Slaughter

fifeandy
    Free Member

In what way do sidewalls let Rock Razor down for trail centre hardpack?
    Folk run ralphs round that kind of stuff with no problems.

Confused 😕

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rock razor with strengthened sidewalls (DH version?)

Northwind

I didn’t really like the slaughter grid, it spat traction at any excuse- I didn’t mind no straightline grip on the way down but it’s frustrating on the way up. I properly spat the dummy on the rocky climbs at kirroughtree one time… Not as good as the Rockrazor for grip imo. But it has decent sidewalls.

Minion SS is skinnier, which is a shame but I think it’s a softer rubber, it definitely grips like a softer rubber. But does it have hte sidewalls you want? Dunno. Exo isn’t that tough or supportive.

simonb51
    Free Member

I find the RR a total pain to set up TL or with a tube. I’ve had snake bites witn 30psi, 27psi and 25psi. It could be me but I just can’t gell with it.

kilo

Victoria Saguaro has been nice on the back of my ibis

carlos
    Free Member

In true STW fashion, I’ll recommend what I’m currently running and tbh loving

Maxxis Agressor 2.3, EXO, TR. it’s got the minion side knobs for bite in the corners and on the looser stuff with shorter centre knobs for faster rolling, braking and climbing grip.

It’s been on since Sept and gives a great level of performance on pretty much all surfaces, with the exceptions of ice and proper slop

Oh and can be had for as little as £36

Northwind

It’s a very different tyre to a rockrazor mind.

But while you’re on the subject, can you compare with a dhr2 at all?

carlos
    Free Member

Northwind – if that question is for me, the answer is no, I can’t compare it to a DHR2. It was a new bike and I specified the Agressor instead. Old bike ran a Purg, call me a tart but I wasn’t putting a Spesh tyre on a new ££££ bike that’s not Spesh.

Oddly enough though (slight error when I spec’d everything) I am running the DHR2 on the front and it performs really well. Might try the proper DHF when it wears out, but for now it’s ace.

vincienup
    Free Member

Trailboss Tough / Fast ?

Northwind

carlos – Member

Oddly enough though (slight error when I spec’d everything) I am running the DHR2 on the front and it performs really well

Aye, it’s a great front. Maxxis repaying us for those years of the DHR being bloody useless on either end

russyh
    Free Member

I’m interested in the side wall issue on a RR, I love them as a spring/summer tyre. Running hans dampf through the winter which is OK but can’t wait to get my Razor back on in the summer. Perfect combos for a Magic Mary upfront

motozulu
    Free Member

Before I sold up to go fat, I was running a Nobby Nic 2.3 on the rear – very happy with it as a rear and tubeless was dead easy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear tyre if you will.’ is closed to new replies.