Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a rear light
  • allyharp

Looking for something highly visible for winter commuting. What works well?

footflaps

Smart 0.5W is my fave, use 2 or 3 of them…

djflexure

NiteFlux

This is the best that I have used. Don’t seem to have really got into the UK.

saladdodger
    Free Member

magic shine tis fugging bright

Simon

Red ones are best.

benjbish

Fibreflare.

acidchunks

+1 for smart half watt.

tredz have them cheap with a front I think.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my smart 1W has sh1t weather sealing – first rain – stopped working then started when I put the bike in the garage and wouldn’t turn off without dismantling.

so I wouldn’t rely on one.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Magic Shine rear light is winter proof? I’m in real need of one quickly and have already got an MJ872 so, what do you lot think please?

richmars

These look cool, but pricey and not available yet. (That was helpful!)

Revolights

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

+1 for Smart 0.5W

I have two of them and not had any probs so far. Very bright. Come with bracket but also have a clip – so u can stick it on a back pocket or camelbak.

trail_rat
    Free Member

richmars

as kent was doing his market research he decided to ignore what was on the market.

look at reelights – who by the way have excellent customer service after i broke a magnet with my pannier strap 😀 they replaced it FOC

neninja
    Free Member

I had problems with weather sealing on my Smart rear light.

Now run these
    RSP Astrum – http://www.wittons.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2357&c=01&i=B002VK1P4W
    Electron Pico 4 – http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p15512/Electron-Pico-4-Rear-Safety-Light.aspx

No problem with sealing on either.

saladdodger
    Free Member

robsoctane – Member
    Does anyone know if the Magic Shine rear light is winter proof? I’m in real need of one quickly and have already got an MJ872 so, what do you lot think please?

mine seems well sealed but I have not given it a real drenching tbh

collostomy
    Free Member

The ‘mtblaser’ rear light. 5 Leds + 2 laser leds from Smudge at MTB Batteries looks good but I dont know if he has any ready for dispatch!

footflaps

I had problems with weather sealing on my Smart rear light.

Yep, they are a bit poor in the rain if you don’t have mudguards, but I’ve not had a problem on my commuter which has proper mudguards. On MTB had the whole won’t turn off thing…

footflaps

richmars – those Revo lights look really cool, must get a set when they become available.

zippykona

Fibre flare from me too.

TiRed

Got a rack? Get a BM Toplight.

For a commuter, lights should be bolted to the bike and not removable. You don’t take your car rear lights with you when you park, do you?

I add a flashing Cateye for EXTRA visbility, but the toplight is great.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve just purchased a Moon Shield ……..holy shirt …..that’s bright ..you could almost use it as a front

Haze

Exposure Flare and get the bracket that sits on the rails, snug up beneath the saddle (unless of course you use a saddle bag).

kcr
    Free Member

Smarts are very bright, but not reliable in the rain long term, in my experience. I have had a couple fail (on a road commuter bike with full mudguards). Water always seems to get into the switch eventually.
    Have been using a Cherry Bomb for a while, no sealing problems so far. Just purchased the new 1W version to add to my rear lighting, which is eye poppingly bright.
    The old Cateyes like the holy hand grenade also have a good reputation.

I like to have three independent rear lights for winter commuting.

ads-b
    Free Member

Ive always thought the problem with lights is that they are only fixed on one point on your bike which tends to be quite low down and not visible in traffic.

I currently use a helmet mounted rear led, and two rear ones on the bike.

Have currently got some EL wire on order and thinking of going to town on the frame and maybe a saftey belt (i ride from central london out to unlit A roads in the countryside of herts and the darkness is a worry).

EL wire

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Hope district 3. Brightest back light I have ever seen. You will get seen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear light’ is closed to new replies.