Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a rainproof, windproof light weight jacket
  • gwilson
    Free Member

As the title says I’m looking to buy a rainproof and windproof jacket what do you all recommend, without really going nuts and breaking the bank.

Cheers

Gareth

Saintly
    Free Member

Montane featherlite, you can pick one up for around £30, it fits in a jersey pocket and is an adequate showerproof, windproof top.

scuttler

Re Featherlite, as Saintly says it’s showerproof, not waterproof. Not sure where rainproof fits in this scale.

Definitely recommended though.

Trekster

Hi saintly, you back surfing again…………….

This is just a bit heavier than the featherlight but still stuffs down into it`s little scrotum sack.
    Delivered in 2days 😆

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Montane/Velocity_DT_Jacket/12436/index.aspx

JimmyB
    Free Member

This one is good, looks smart in black & feels like you’re naked…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29853

well made too & UK made!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hmmmmm… I have a Montane Featherlite, but am loathed to use it most of the time – except in emergencies when I get caught out by unexpected bad weather. For this use it appears to be just about perfect – as you can stuff it away in its scrotum sack and just forget about it ’till you really need it…. but I wouldn’t want to use it as my primary rain jacket – it’s just waaaaaay waaaaaay tooo thin and tearable. I’m sure it’d fall to bits pretty quick if I used it all the time. A single layer of flimsy pertex is not very waterproof, breathable or warm either*.

I use a Ground Effect ‘Flashgordon’, which is great for right now in wintery rainy Tasmania, but I think you’re probably looking for a lightweight UK summer jacket, Hmmmm…? For this use the Flashgordon would be simply too heavy (and fairly bulky too).

Good luck with your quest!
    *NB I am using the basic Montane Featherlite – not the CRC H20 version as highlighted by one poster – dunno what that one is like, could be ok I suppose?

antigee

the h20 is fractionally thicker than the featherlite
    mrs antigee is very happy with her featherlite but i wouldn’t go out in the rain in it myself, maybe ok for a light shower – the h20 is great for stuffing in a pocket and is fine for a couple of hours then i find the sleeves get soaked thru and i start getting cold – i bought a black one then regretted it as when it starts raining hard and on the road i feel a little invisible – if i lost mine i’d sure buy another but it has limitations – i wouldn’t set off in the rain with it

aP
    Free Member
    younggeoff

Montane featherlite is ok for a light shower but won’t stop full on rain, the Velocity_DT does, having used the one I got from Awcycles I’d recommend it, the sleeves are really long too. Find somewhere to try one on before you order to get the right size

Trekster

Yup Velocity has very long sleeves and a high neck, hence reason I bought it.I am 6ft, 14+st, broad shouldered so need xl on most clothing, sometimes meaning it can be baggy everywhere but still snug across shoulders.
    As said above I also have the featherlite one but having used it on a very wet day can vouch for the fact it does not stop water getting through. Also gets a bit sweaty on warms showery days, best just getting wet!! But as a windproof on a cold day it did it

j

n bobs.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Hmmm, I think you’re right. The H20 is good but it’s not for heavy prolonged downpours unless like me you’re happy to dry off naturally afterwards.
    I don’t mind getting a little damp as long as I can stay warm & the H20 does that for me by keeping the wind off.

Guess the Velocity may be better if you’re looking for a fully waterproof over extended periods.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rainproof, windproof light weight jacket’ is closed to new replies.