Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me . . . . a pub lock
  • Dansk1

Could do with a portable lock for night ride pub stops. Needs to be stronger than string, but ideally pretty light and not too bulky.

So: light, strong and ideally cheap. Moon on a stick optional. Any suggestions?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Use an old bicycle chain. Chain as in the one that runs around your chainset and cassette. Most of us carry a chain tool anyway so just use that to reconnect the old chain around stuff and it should be awkward enough to remove bikes from a pub without being too heavy

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a couple of these (out of stock at the mo)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38258

They are reasonably chunky/sturdy but obviously not a top level lock but they do the job without being too heavy. I use one to lock my hack bike up outside the gym.

Visually they look pretty strong and the best bonus for me is not having to remember to take a key.

TheBrick
    Free Member

bike chain is super easy to brake without tools at least a cheap cable lock tends to need some cutters.

In the world of lock you will not get strong and light. If
    I’m some were safe cheap cable lock + eagle eye out of the window. Anywhere dodgy / proper urban take turns to go in ot the pub buy drink and sit outside.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want a decent lock it will be heavy and expensive.

If all you want is a light token lock then a padlock thru the chainrings at least stops the bike being ridden away

tthew

I have this lock from e-bay clicky

Whilst it’s fairly heavy, the length of it means you can wear it like a bandolier (sp?) so you don’t need a bag or anything to carry it. Pretty cheap and secure too.

Dansk1

Cheers All, will likely get a cable lock more as a deterrant than serious protection and keep an eye on things. Should at least stop opportunists.

angryratio
    Free Member

Drink at a different pub, or use a skanky bike when you do a pub ride.

edhornby

even for a rubbish pub bike you should have a good lock, really.

imagine leaving the pub and having to walk home, and how many people have a bike they refer to as a pub bike but would be sorry if they lost it? also bear in mind you’d have to replace the bike, good lock is cheaper than replacement bike and replacement lock

new york mini Dlock or an oxford chain

http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3157.htm

MrAgreeable

If you’ve got a favourite post-ride pub, just get a decent lock and leave it there all the time.

ourmaninthenorth

Buy decent lock. On a day “off”, take lock to pub and lock it somewhere inconspicuous.

On night ride, arrived at pub and use previously hidden decent lock to lock up bike. Leave it hidden when you ride home.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Best I can recommend for this is the Abus Bordo 75cm. It’s pretty damn strong, can’t be cut with bolt cutters, and is surprisingly light for the level of protection it gives. Also very compact and has a great secure case for strapping to your frame, secure enough to ride any off road without it rattling around or getting in the way. Sadly it’s not cheap, about £50, but leagues better than a cable lock IMO.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Another suggestion is an alarm lock with motion detector. Very small, very light and only about £15. The cable makes a circuit and triggers the alarm if it’s broken. If you set the motion sensor, alarm is triggered a few seconds after the lock is disturbed.
    In reality it can be muted considerably by slapping your palm over the siren, but it’s fcukin loud so it most likely to scare off any opportunists. Plus it has a nice big red labor saying 100db alarm which I’d say is a fairly good deterrent.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me . . . . a pub lock’ is closed to new replies.