Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a Press Fit bb 92mm
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a Salsa Horsethief frame coming and it uses a PF92mm bb, I’ve no idea what to order as I would like to have a new one fitted before building up the frame.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kimbers

Xtr one has been most reliable so far, initially had a gxp that got crunchy quickly, then a token one, xtr has been thru loads of filth still fine

sillyoldman

Have a CK one in mine, but if I were buying now, I’d get the newish Wheels Mfg one that threads together – creak free and bearings are assured to be parallel, so should last well.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fudge9202
    Free Member

Looks like the wheelsmfg one is the business!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it’s the age old BB question. Buy cheap and often or take a punt on something that will probably last longer but at a price. I’ve not really solved that one personally, and I suspect the £ per mile is roughly similar. One bike has an Enduro BB (same bearings as the wheelsmfg one but placky cups) and the other runs a cheap Shimano.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you’re using 30mm cranks then I’ve only managed to find one company that makes BB’s to suit a PF92 frame and that’s Rotor.
    I’ve been looking around for something else to try as mine’s dead but not having any luck.

kristoff
    Free Member

Hope make a bb92 compatible bottom bracket for 24 and 30mm axles.

The bb92 is pf41.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/#tech

sillyoldman

Wheels Mfg make a bearing kit for 30mm axle cranks too. Outer race of the bearing has a flange to eliminate the need for a cup. Makes the ball size as large as possible. Double row cartridge too.

I’d fit a 24mm crank with the BB I linked to previously though.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Wheels Mfg make a bearing kit for 30mm axle cranks too. Outer race of the bearing has a flange to eliminate the need for a cup. Makes the ball size as large as possible.

As do Hope, well technically Enduro make the bearings.

sillyoldman

So they do! No additional seals like the Wheels Mfg one though?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Salsa recommend a BB with plastic cups so will need that type.

sillyoldman

XTR then. Mine’s an alloy Split Pivot version, so alloy cups are fine.

Find warnings about not using alloy cups in carbon shells a bit worrying TBH. Odd that alloy headset cups are OK, but not BB cups?

fudge9202
    Free Member

The Salsa Horsethief frame coming is also a split pivot alloy frame but I’m sure I read on their site to use plastic cups?

sillyoldman

No reason for that. No problems with CK cups in mine. They were a reassuringly good fit too, as the Bb was post-weld machined.

Suspect the plastic cup advice is a copy and paste recommendation from the Carbon version. Never heard of all frames having an issue, but both Ibis and Yeti (neither of whom have a great build quality rep) say to use plastic cup BBs in their Carbon press fit shells.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Great I think I’ll plump for the wheelsmfg one

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Press Fit bb 92mm’ is closed to new replies.