Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me a powerful mini trailside pump please
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

got to be small enough to fit in a camelbak, and preferably doesn’t weigh a tonne too

not to bothered on price as long as its quick at getting tyres back up quickly

many thanks 🙂

wwaswas

You need high volume, not power for mtb inflation as the tyres are at low pressure.

I like Leyzene but some people find the chucks undo their valve cores.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV ABS Pump without Gauge

Little black QR thing attaches to stop valves issue which can happen- also means pump does not lock with the cable though

gaberin
    Free Member

co2?

nickjb
    Free Member

Mountain Morph here. The pop out foot and hose makes it like a mini track pump. Gets big tyres up to a decent pressure fairly quickly.

jimw
    Free Member

Topeak Mountain Morph

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i saw those mountain morphs, they look huge and heavy! like a smaller version of a footpump?

don’t want something huge that takes up loads of space

ill have a look at that lezyne

jimw
    Free Member

The MM fits a Camelbak and weighs less than you think. However, if weight really is an issue then the larger of the Lezyne alloy drives, but be aware it does have a habit of taking out valve cores if the latter are even slighly loose.

fasthaggis

I like the Crankbrothers Gem Short pumps.

nickjb
    Free Member

The mountain morph is bigger than a normal pump but it’s not exactly huge. The hose stows nicely so it easily slots into a bag. 250g I think. So slightly bigger, slightly heavier but that’s the price you pay for the performance. Its much easier to use but it’s more of a functional tool than an emergency, just in case.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I like the look of that lezyne one listed above by junkyard, looks well made, and sturdy and ive now seen a pic of it in a backpack so no worries there too

reviews look very positive, just what I’m after nice one! 🙂

km79
    Free Member

I have the lezyne one, it’s great even with 29+ tyres. Takes no time at all to get them up, really well made also and lightweight for the size of it.

benp1

Mountain Morph

It isn’t massively heavy but it is quite big, I now use a Lezyne Alloy Drive as I’m tubeless

But the Mountain Morph is excellent

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have one as well and its still going strong after about 5 years ish of ownership.

mildbore

Got both a Mountain Morph and a Lezyne. Lezyne sits at home waiting till I road ride while the MM comes out in my Camelbak

Del

I have both a mountain morph and a road morph. Road morph was bought when I went to a bum bag. Both excellent and very reliable. Road morph takes more pumping but it’s easier going.

scotroutes

Mountain Morph

TiRed

CO2. With a road morph or Brompton Zefal HPX for back up in the rucksack.

Standig on a Morph on soggy ground in the rain will make you wish you’d brought CO2.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Can someone link me to the mountain morph one your raving about please? And does it fit in a camelbak mule esque backpack? It looks properly big in the photos? If I’m looking at the right one

papercutout
    Free Member

Not quite sure why you couldn’t google it yourself…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mountain-morph-pump/

OP, also check the Bontrager Mini Charger, some of the guys I work with (guide with) use them:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-pumps/bontrager-mini-charger/p/11667

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers, I had googled it, just wanted to confirm I was looking at the correct one, which I was, and it does appear fairly big, doesn’t looked like it will fit in my camelbak??

Will check out that bontrager one too cheers

bigblackshed

The Mountain Morph fits easily in my Dakine Amp, which is smaller than a Mule.

You’re over thinking this.

leffeboy

It’s a bit big but still fits in the outside pocket of my deuter pack. It’s the pump you want if you actually get a puncture. FYI it’s 35cm long

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have the Lezyne one too.

Like most Lezyne stuff it looks great but it’s shit.

The handle is far too small to use comfortably, even with gloves. The head is small and fiddly to get onto valves, although the new speed Chuck seems to address this.

If just the handle was improved it would be OK. I’ve even considered sawing it off and making a comfortable one from a bit of wood!

The topeak however just works (and according to Google only weighs 20g more). Just like their multitools. I’ll never learn, I’ve topeak and Lezyne multitools, the topeak works, the Lezyne one is about 1/3 the lever, covered in sharp edges, and has a 90deg small hex key that digs into your palm when you try and grip it. I now have about 3 of the topeak ones in different bags just so I never have to take the Lezyne one out even if I can’t find one.

chipster

I’ve a Mountain Morph, probably 10 years old, that used to live in my Camelbak Mule. It’s now living in my Osprey Raptor 14. I’d post a photo, but the Flickr hurdles are just too high. 😕

DickBarton

Think my Mountain Morph is almost 12 years old. Awesome bit of kit. Get it if you want a pump to just work constantly. Fits nicely in the front section of my Osprey Raptor (14, I think)…

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a lyzene tech drive hp. It’s great small but very good, I even mounted my tubeless tyres using it on their initial install. I had a mountain morph but snapped the footpump bit off it was good too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Topeak Mini Morph is pretty good. Its a fair bit shorter and thinner than the Mountain Morph. Yes, it will take longer to inflate the tyre, but its not too bad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CO2 with a Lyzene micro as a backup. Though usage is a lot less than it uesd to be

whitestone
    Free Member

The Mountain Morph fits easily into a Camelbak Mule, it’s like a pea rattling round a UKIP supporter’s head! I’ve also got an old style Camelbak Lobo which has an external sleeve for the pump but it’s only big enough for a small pump like a Lezyne.

welshfarmer

My experiences to date.

Mountain morph. Looks like the business, has all the features, but push comes to shove if you rarely use it then the O-ring dries out and falls apart rendering the pump useless. I think mine only ever blew one tyre up in its 2 year lifespan (I run tubeless so rarely need one).

Leyzyne micro. Well, great pump, but found it impossible to remove the tube without unwinding the valve. VERY annoying. Especially as I had blown the tyre up with CO2 and was just topping it up a bit firmer and ended up losing all the air….. Twice.

My go-too reliable pump is a cheap plastic jobbie I have had for 25 years and just works. It and weighs less than the Leyzyne, blows air on both the push and pull stroke, but I worry evrytime I use it that I will snap it in half as it is 100% plastic and tiny.

Saccades
    Free Member

Topeak Harpoon.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers folks, and thanks for the pic above with a topeak MM in, confirms it should fit easily then 🙂

mates also got one and his packs about the same as mine and he says its great too, so all good and a bit cheaper than the lezyne one so will get that one

thanks again, hopefully wont have to use it very often being tubeless but the utter faff of using a shitty little handpump last week means It will be a hell of a lot quicker and easier should I get unlucky again

nedrapier

Good choice!

If it’s the pump you want if you actually get a puncture.

Too true, if there’s a puncture on a group ride and there’s a few pumps in bags, it’ll be the MM that gets used.

Watty

Apologies for the hijack, but I’ve a Road Morph with gauge for sale if you’re interested. Email I’m profile.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 MM here to (and Road Morph when on the road bike). Bit too big to have in a jersey pocket but fine in a backpack. As above, it’s inevitably one of them that gets used when someone gets a puncture, even if they brought their own carbon jewel-encrusted micro pump.

psycorp
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Phaart Rumbler from PX? Looks a similar design to the MM.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

MM in both mine and Katies cambelbaks. Road Morph in my back pocket on a road ride. If you’re going to carry a pump you may as well carry one that will pump up a tyre in a reasonable time without ripping the valve off.

Whenever anyone else on a ride starts pumping up a tyre with anything else they always end up using the MM and praising it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a powerful mini trailside pump please’ is closed to new replies.