Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • recommend me a portable hard drive
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member
    brassneck

That’d be fine. They are all much of a muchness.

Unless you have a 1Tb 2.5″ drive knocking about, then get a £5 caddy from Ebay.

nickjb
    Free Member

That’d be fine. They are all much of a muchness.

Agree. Any branded one will be fine. I’d be wary of cheapos from ebay etc as I’ve had a few issues with those.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ta.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

do I need to worry about USB2.0 and 3.0 issues?

Can a 3.0 drive plug into a 2.0 socket and work okay? Or do you need a specific 3.0 socket?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

USB3 is backwards compatible – buy USB3 for future proofing. I bought a Western Digital My Passport 1TB recently and it’s been fine.

Self powered (2.5″/laptop drive) hard drives will be slower than 3.5″, desktop drives which will have an external power pack.

dknwhy

Sorry to hijack but I’m looking for similar to backup my macbook. Don’t Mac use a different format?
    Can someone provide me with a link to something that’ll work for under £50 500gb upwards.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but I’m looking for similar to backup my macbook. Don’t Mac use a different format?

Yes, but you can reformat any drive to OS Journaled. Just use Disk Utility on the Mac.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@reggie I just bought one of those, so far so good but it has only been running a month.

@dnknwhy – I bought it for my Mac, you just reformat with disk utility as @Three_fish says. You do lose the security software which the Samsung comes with but I don’t care about that. If you want you can download an Apple version of it from Samsung.

reggiegasket
    Free Member
    brassneck

Self powered (2.5″/laptop drive) hard drives will be slower than 3.5″, desktop drives which will have an external power pack.

You’ll barely notice though (even on USB3) and the convenience of not plugging it in trumps a few seconds for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a portable hard drive’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts