Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a plasma cutter
  • elma
    Free Member

To cut 8×8 rsj 10 mm thick this is gonna be for about 40 cuts so longevity won’t be an issue.Are the Chinese ones on eBay good enough or go for a recognised make. The Draper for £250 looks good but any other recommendations welcome.
    Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hire one?

elma
    Free Member

The cuts need to be done over a period of about a month so hiring might work out the same price as buying one and I like buying tools

twisty

You gould get a quality angle grinder with a variety of cutting&grinding blades and still have change from £250. It’d take a bit longer than a plasma cutter but an angle grinder is useful for all sorts of stuff.

elma
    Free Member

I should of mentioned that I’ve already got a stihl saw and various angle grinders just thought a plasma cutter would be better and quicker and for £250 it’s not that expensive and I’m sure I can sell it on if I don’t use it much

finishthat
    Free Member

Its definitely quicker and easier (on the ears) than an angle grinder , You have a decent air compressor already right ?

maccruiskeen

You need a pretty sizeable air compressor – 3hp / 100 litre sort of scale – cutting 10mm steel requires a pretty slow feed rate so you’ll be get through an awful lot of air on each cut. To prevent ruining a lot of cutting consumables too quickly (like one set every cut) you need decent quality air-drying equipment too – bog standard air filters from machine mart don’t cut it- And you need a meaty power supply – my cutter has has to be wired into a 40amp supply and thats running in addition to the draw for the compressor, so really both those machines need to be on different phases / circuits. You also need the right kind of breaker fitted otherwise the surge when you strike the arc will trip it anyway.

Mines a Hypertherm Powermax 45. Cost about £2k which I bought to use for CNC work – Some of that cost is internal electronics for hooking up to the CNC equipment though. The original £100 odd quid air dryer I bought (hypertherm’s own product) didn’t cut the mustard with a compressor running in wet and windy west scotland but a much larger £300 one is cutting down the expense of replacing tips and nozzles. I now run both dryers in series and that set up still isn’t as good as it should be. The compressor was about £450.

That set up can pierce at 10mm, and cut at about 1 foot per minute – anything thicker – upto 16mm it can only cut from an edge rather than in the middle of a plate.

Whatever cutter you buy factor in that the respective consumables need to be obtainable easily too and check what they cost – the tips and nozzles for mine can cost about a tenner each unless I buy them in bulk – and they have to be replaced in pairs – so £20 per tip change. And don’t forget you’re basically short circuiting the national grid while you’re cutting – so electricity bills are quite juicy too.

The fume from plasma cutting is properly horrible – I work over a water table to keep the filth under control but without that then you’re creating clouds of atomised steel that you definitely don’t want to breath and its going to coat everything else in the room.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Borrow a gun from the new Ghostbusters squad. 😉

twisty

Stihl saw with metal cutting blade and the water pump zips through rsj, just need some good ear defenders 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a plasma cutter’ is closed to new replies.