Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a place to go for a weekend away
  • rocco

Partner is feeling a bit depressed for various reasons so looking at going away Saturday and Sunday so would like some ideas. Going to be a non biking weekend so something to do or things to see would be great and somewhere within 3 hour drive from Bristol would be great.

Jamie
    Free Member

Given the weather, make sure it’s nowhere coastal or in a dip.

Spa weekend thingy?

jekkyl

Some capital city or other.

tomhughes46

I like Oxford; museums, restaurants, more museums. Bicester village is not far away (if that’s your thing), as are the Cotswolds. Budget? Always wanted to stay @ the Randolph or Malmaison, but the Buttery is very central and was ok when I last stayed. Train from Brizzle easy, or park and ride if no parking at hotel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Salisbury? Lovely city, some great little places to eat and an epic LBS.

mogrim

Surprise trip to Paris, there’s apparently a direct flight from Bristol Airport…

andyl
    Free Member

Weekend in Bath? Book a long session at the Spa.

Or pop up to Derbyshire?

Paris option is a good one but rushing to get flights and find your way around (if not familiar with Paris) might make it less than relaxing.

Maybe look for a nice hotel in Ireland that can be flown to easily.

rocco

I thought about Bath and Oxford sounds like a great idea. Also thinking about York. Paris or Ireland would be great but not got the budget for that unfortunately.

Any nice restaurants in Oxford?

Harry_the_Spider

Laycock village? Stratford upon Avon?

tomkerton
    Free Member

Agree wth Oxford – easy drive from Brizzle, how about stay in Wodstock next to Blenhiem palace and pop into Oxford one of the days, tour Blenhoem the other? Such a great little village. Or Cotswold wildlife park if you’re into zoos, it’s one of the best IMO.

York’s a long old slog from Bris.

rocco

Oxford it is, found a nice hotel and will do a city trip one day and the Cotswold wildlife park on Sunday. Anything to make sure we are in the city?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Birmingham, at least she’ll cheer up when you get home.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Salisbury? Lovely city, some great little places to eat and an epic LBS.

Are we thinking of the same place?
    I got the hump with work so I’m off to Luzern this weekend.

timidwheeler

In Oxford, go to the Pit Rivers Mueseum. Loads of places to eat, what do you like?

tomhughes46

Possibly too late, but Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean are good. I like Loch Fyne, but it is a chain (and a walk from the centre). Walking round Christchurch meadow is plesant, and the History of science museum (bottom of Broad St; Einsteins chalkboard) is my favourite.

Pubs: Tav (hard to find!- behind Hertford) and Eagle & Child (St Giles) I always go to.

br
    Free Member

+1 Pitt Rivers

And on your way back, take a bracing walk around the White Horse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffington_White_Horse

And lunch at one of the local pubs.

JulianA
    Free Member

Browns do a nice bit of nosh…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a place to go for a weekend away’ is closed to new replies.