Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a PIR LED Floodlight – Excruciatingly dull content alert
  • kormoran
    Free Member

My garden PIR light has finally failed and i’m looking for a replacement, preferably with an LED lamp. When you read all the reviews from the usual suspects it seems like the market is utterly full of rubbish lamps that last days. Doesn’t seem to matter whether they are cheap or expensive!

Has anyone got a recommendation for lamps that are half decent?

allthepies
    Free Member

Steinel XLED Home 1.

fossy

We have a 500w ‘equivalent’ on the side of the house – it’s only 20w but as bright as the old 500w.

The advantage is the beam cut-off is much better so you can set the angle right so you don’t hiss off the neighbours and the light is in the garden/drive.

No idea what ours is as we bought it off my brother in law who has a lighting shop.

shakers97
    Free Member

Don’t get a telemon one from B&Q. Replaced mine a few months ago. Noticed before Xmas that it was stuck on. Got on the ladder and noticed the PIR bulb was full of water. Put a small hole in the soft plastic of the bulb to drain the water but it didn’t dry out and ended up disconnecting it until I can get round to replacing it.

kormoran
    Free Member

Steinel XLED Home 1 looks interesting cheers. Will check out local CEF

I don’t mind spending if it lasts, currently it looks like buy cheap, buy every six months!

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s a good unit, well made and a decent warranty on it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s a good unit, well made and a decent warranty on it.

I’d hope so for that price and a non-replaceable bulb.

Anyone got any leads on something with replaceable bulbs? Tempted to just get fling an LED replacement bulb into my floodlight and see how it gets on.

kormoran
    Free Member

Anyone got any leads on something with replaceable bulbs?

Haven’t found anything with a replaceable LED yet – at least not at the cheaper end of the scale.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got three of these at the back of the house. One on the back door, one over the garage door and one at the wood pile.

Decent amount of light, easy to instal (I fitted them myself and I am a rubbish electrician) and the sensors work very well. Only caveat is that I was worried about the water proofing in the lights which were exposed to the elements and I wrapped the cable entry point with rubber and electical tape and when I had the light set up I wrapped the sensor pivots too just to be doubly sure there could be no water ingress.

dirtyboy

Pop in to any branch of Newey and eyre, they usually have a good range and are often cheaper than the diy outlets

trail_rat
    Free Member

My ledhut bargain basement ones are doing well 6 years they have been up in exposed locations.

A case a little rusty but still working well .

dooosuk
    Free Member

What wattage do you really need? Is 10W, 900L insufficient?

jimjam
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member

What wattage do you really need? Is 10W, 900L insufficient?

Depends on what size area you want to illuminate. If it’s just your back door step so you can see the keyhole or what have you then I’m sure that’s fine.

I want to see the edges of my garden, for security but also it’s handy if I’m mowing the lawn and it’s starting to get dark, getting stuff in and out of the cars, getting over to the wood shed etc.

If they are reasonably well elevated then having too much light isn’t going to be a problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just put up a second one over there – that way im not killing 10 million baby pandas just to see where the keys go.

a neighbour has a retina burner of a halogen up – massive wattage by the looks of it , they must pay a fortune in leccy as it goes off when you drive up the street…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a PIR LED Floodlight – Excruciatingly dull content alert’ is closed to new replies.