Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a Photography book for beginners.
  • Killer
    Free Member

So a family member is looking for a book to get them into photography for christmas. I’m so super photographer so don;t really know what i;m looking at.

so. what books have you tried and recommend for somebody just starting out and thinking of getting into cameras?

I’ve tried amazon, and even starting flicking through some them, but just don’t know what i’m looking at to tell if it’s garbage or not.

thoughts?

alexpalacefan

When I was learning to take (half) decent photos, I sourced my guide books from charity shops, where they’re abundant.

Not much help for a gift though really, is it?

Best of luck,

APF

grum
    Free Member

Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson is one that gets recommended a lot. It’s not amazing IMO but definitely worth a look.

This one is quite good too – http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Photographers-Eye-Composition-Digital/dp/1905814046

Not sure either is quite a beginners guide to photography though, if that’s what you’re after.

bencooper
    Free Member

A book about photography, or a book about how to use a camera?

The Genius of Photography is a very good book all about the art of photography – there’s nothing about how to use a camera, but a lot about the history, different styles, influential photographers etc.

nickdavies

Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson +1

seven
    Free Member

Michael Freeman books are generally good. I have a few and enjoyed/learnt from them

Killer
    Free Member

I think they’re more after the type of book on how ot use the camera properly rather than the arty side, but clearly it’s the output that counts and some inspiration may help?

Creg

The Tom Ang books are pretty good IMO.

I have the “Digital Photography Masterclass” book and its really good. Goes into depth about camera usage and also sets activities/tasks around photographing certain subjects and styles and also how to critique your own work.

d45yth
    Free Member

Is there not an appropriate book in the ‘for dummies’ range?

oldrich
    Free Member

Basic Photography by Michael Langford (often used as a course textbook, and recently updated)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Photography book for beginners.’ is closed to new replies.