• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a photo backpack
  • beanum

Hi,

I’m looking for a new backpack to carry my camera around and would like to know what people recommend? I’m looking for something like my existing Crumpler Jackpack with a separate compartment for a DSLR and one or two lenses with space for other stuff as well. The less it looks like a camera bag the better as this would be for city use. I’ve got plenty of hiking packs. The Crumpler would be perfect except that the back section is only padded and not shaped so when worn on one shoulder it tends to roll off and isn’t very comfortable – which is a shame. I’m happy to look at sling type bags if that’s the only solution…
    Thanks!

Crumpler Jackpack

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m loving my Evoc Photo Scout thingy as recommended by Singletrack. May be a bit too photo biased in terms of space allocation for you.
    I also have assorted daKine and lowepro bags in assorted capacities but the Evoc is currently my bike photo fave.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I use one of these

Nest Athena A50

Great for your city use as it will slide round to give access to your camera without having to take it off.

Pyro

The Mindshift Gear packs get pretty good reviews, I’ve not tried one but they seem popular – http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

Depending on your budget, F-Stop Gear might be worth a look as well. I use their Kenti and Loka, though for what you’re describing the Guru and a small ICU might be a good setup – http://fstopgear.com/

stumpy01

Not really a recommendation, more a non-recommendation, which is potentially just as helpful.

I’ve got a Kata 3N1, which I bought for taking on my honeymoon as I wanted to take all my camera gear but also have something with enough room for all my carry-on bits on the plane; Kindle, magazine, bottle of water etc.

It’s a half decent bag, but there are so many small niggly things with it that make it a bit rubbish – silly things like the waterproof cover has no storage pocket; it’s just comes as a cover that you have to stick in the bag, which eats into the available space & is untidy; the Velcro for the internal dividers isn’t very strong so everything flops around, the tripod mount is just some really flimsy loose webbing straps that you have to find somewhere to store when not using (like the rain cover) etc…..

I’ve got a LowePro Sling bag (can’t remember the name now Slingshot 200, perhaps?) but that works so much better. It’s not as ‘feature packed’ and is too small for what I wanted – hence buying the Kata bag, but it is a much better thought out product .

yosemitepaul

Not in any way the cheapest, but certainly the best, and totally over engineered for a back back is the F Stop mountain range.
    I have a Tilopa and it really is an awesome bit of kit.
    Not only are they not cheap, but can be a bit awkward to get over here in the UK, but I did once import a Loka and there were no issues in getting it shipped over.
    Worth looking at their web site if only to look at some of their videos.

beanum

Thanks for the replies. Some good suggestions there. It looks like Kata have merged with Manfrotto. The EVOC looks good, possibly too big though. I’d never heard of Nest or F Stop so they’re now on my shortlist.. 🙂

Davesport

Can’t help directly, but I saw somebody using a photo backpack that had a zipped door at the side. It made getting the camera out quick and easy. Might have been Lowepro ?

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

Hello,

Th Lowepro Photosport AW200 is a great little bag, I use this for biking or day hiking…
    as above – its a quick access side-pocket, hydro compatible bag – and you can get it in bright orange 😀 (other colours are available!)

DrJ

I have refused to consider Kata in the past on ideological grounds – I don’t want to support the Israeli military either directly or indirectly. I can now extend my personal sanctions regime to Manfrotto. That is easy because I don’t plan to buy either more camera bags (I have a cupboard full, but it’s the F-Stop ones that actually get used) or tripods (I prefer Gitzo, anyway).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a photo backpack’ is closed to new replies.