Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a patio door manufacturer
  • davosaurusrex

Dull, dull, dull. Following on from the bi fold door thread we’ve decided to go for aluminium patio doors. Prices vary massively so as well as there being the obvious element of getting what you pay for I also think there’s some ridiculous marking up from some firms. I know a couple of installers locally so think I’d like to buy direct from a decent manufacturer,happy to measure up myself. Any recommendations and what to look for? I believe a thermal break is required to prevent condensation on the frames, anything else? Ta!

russ295
    Free Member

Solafold in Gateshead has just done my house (self build) Windows, huge sliding doors and front door.
    Not sure how far he’d travel tho.

davosaurusrex

Ta. I’m on the South coast though so thinking of buying direct and then getting installed by someone I know

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

Cheers Reuben. Any personal experience with them? I know most people post online reviews to bitch but the reviews on trustpilot aren’t good!

BigJohn

When I was renovating a Victorian terrace I fitted all the windows and doors myself. But I paid a good bit extra to have the measuring done by a very good local firm. It was worth every penny as it would have been impossible for me to get all the dimensions correct.

Gotama
    Free Member

Velfac look good and they’re a good price as well. I spoke to them and went through the process of working out which windows and doors we wanted when doing the extension. They were very helpful but when I tried to get a quote from a few of their registered installers none of them phoned me back, including one that was personally recommended by the chap I was speaking to at velfac. As such we ended up with sunflex bifolds as I wasn’t going to take a chance with an installer who wouldn’t phone back for a reasonable size installation job as it left me thinking that if we had an issue with the doors/windows we’d have no chance of getting hold of them. We’re not exactly out in the sticks either. Hopefully you’ll have better luck with a local installer.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Cheers Reuben. Any personal experience with them? I know most people post online reviews to bitch but the reviews on trustpilot aren’t good!

Yup. Mine are nigh on 40 years old, haven’t blown and still slide nicely. Being 40 years old they’re only about 4/6/4 or so and they’re anodised aluminium without the thermal block thing. Theres a 10 m run x2.5m high and we don’t heat that room. It ain’t “cosy” but the palm tree doesn’t seem to mind!

Thigs will have moved on a bit but there’s no doubting their longevity!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a patio door manufacturer’ is closed to new replies.