Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a pannier rack and pannier
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Ive got a Planet X london road that I have built as a flat bar tourer.

I’m planning a trip to go and visit the Flanders fields war cemeteries and sites along with some D day landing sites next year.

I will be camping in the van and just doing day rides out around the various sights so only need to carry waterproofs, camera, bit of grub and maybe some maps etc.

I know I don’t need a full on touring trip pannier set but buying something that can be added to at a later date would be nice in case I decide I want to add bigger/nmore panniers for a longer trip in the future.

Cheers

nbt

Topeak Super Tourist DX rack with matching rack bag – made to slide on and off easily. Holds more then enough for day rides, especially if youget one with extending side pockets. Add actual panniers for longer trips

CraigW
    Free Member

+1 for a rack top bag. I have an Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution one, it holds enough for most long days out. It uses velcro straps, they are quick enough to attach, and work fine.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-adventure-rack-pack-5l-1?bct=browse%2faccessories%2fluggage

For a rack, the TorTec tour is good, not too expensive. https://www.evanscycles.com/tortec-tour-rack-00120869

cinnamon_girl

Very cheeky plug for an Old Man Mountain rear rack that I’m selling:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mudhugger-guardsomm-racknew-glovesnew-saddlebag

🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Slight hijack ( sorry ).

Would a Topeak Super Tourist work with a set of Ortlieb panniers ?

dovebiker

Simple bar bag, seatpack or frame bag e.g. Apidura or Alpkit.

kaiser
    Free Member

I’ve got a Topeak super tourist DX rack with matching fast release rackpack( has extending pockets ) that i might sell ..would have to work out a price if you’re interested mail in profile
    regards
    Bill in exeter

nbt

Yes, I’ve used Ortlieb panniers on my Super tourist. Fiddly to get the setup right at first but once set, yo’re away

amedias
    Free Member

Would a Topeak Super Tourist work with a set of Ortlieb panniers ?

Ortliebs will generally fit anything. and the Topeak rack is a pretty standard shape, I don’t think you’d have any comparability issues with any panniers on it tbh.

twisty

If you decide to go down the pannier rack then Ortlieb Quicklock waterproof are the ones to get.

Then maybe a Tortec velocity pannier rack.

cranberry
    Free Member

Thanks NBT/amedias – I’m off in a week for a weekend of bratwust, beer and ( some ) cycling, Topeak has been ordered.

nbt

Enjoy. My first experience of touring was a 3 day jaunt around Bruges, Ghent and Ypres (where I used ortleib panniers on a super tourist rack 🙂 ). We visited Tyne Cot and attended the Menin Gate ceremony that’s held at 8 pm each night. Very moving, please try to attend if you can do. Also try a pint of De Koninck if you find it on tap, and try Flemish stew.

TiRed

For day rides, the Topeak beam rack MTX will be all you need. Avoid the one with fold down panniers. Mine is locked to the trike permanently these days on a Super Tourist rack. Ortlieb panniers fit fine with it mounted.

If you are travelling even lighter, then a barbag offers easier access.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never done panniers in my life until now, but I’m contemplating that Jobsworth pannier disc set at PX for £13. When I wasn’t cycle commuting for part of the summer, I started using Lidl after work, to take shopping home on the bus… It saved us a fortune compared to Sainsburys!

Now just got to get my head around pannier bags, to get ones that can hold more that a box of cereal and some bread, that won’t fall apart before xmas 2016 and don’t cost the earth.

Saccades
    Free Member

On my london road I have an Vavert advancer rack on the front coupled with some Agu panniers PX were selling dirt cheap.

Cheap combo for day touring to try.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a pannier rack and pannier’ is closed to new replies.