Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a non hope hub
  • cobbdu1
    Free Member

I’m thinking of building a lightweight xc wheel for my 29er. I’d like to use a hub with sealed bearings but don’t like the clicking noise that comes with hope hubs. Can anyone recommend me a decent alternative please.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Dt Swiss 240s

Or a2z do a good cheap one

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t understand. …

cobbdu1
    Free Member

Thanks. Anyone know if it is possible to remove that clicking noise from the hope hub?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can get them declicked…I think the places that debark dogs will do them.

cobbdu1
    Free Member

I don’t understand. …

Do you mean you don’t understand the question? If so, I guess I’m saying I’m looking for a lightweight, quality hub with sealed bearings.

passtherizla
    Free Member

If you take the pawls and springs out it won’t make any noise… It will also no longer work. I think packing them with grease helps.

scruff
    Free Member

cobbdu1, Ive tried all sorts of greases and oils to quieten it and they neverlasted until I used waterpump grease, mines now been proper quiet for months and no more drag noticeable.

ac282

American classic.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The problem with shutting hubs up is that there’s only one way to do it – Make it engage softly or with less force, and this can cause the pawls to slip. I’d suggest it’s not a good idea.

OP – DT Swiss mate. Pricy but worth it. 🙂

br
    Free Member

Dt Swiss 240s

Nope, they still ‘click’. Its just a different ‘click’.

glen815
    Free Member

I find that the more you pedal, the less noise my Hope hub makes and as a bonus, I seem to go faster. 🙂

simondbarnes

Very happy with the A2Z disc hubs I used to build some cx wheels. I too hate noisy hubs.

charliedontsurf

I found the latest hope hubs no where near as loud as the older ones.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Rorschach that firm also makes the pips that go in jam

Recently got some new Hopes and they aren’t that loud compared to others I ride with, and not as loud as my old Halo Supa-drive free-hub either. But they are very slow to pick up, an area the Supa-drives excelled. I’m not convinced yet

extremo
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Goldtec Hubs. very good, a lot quieter than hopes and made in the UK.
    http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/result.asp?CategoryID=14&Name=GOLDTEC+Hubs+and+Wheels

scruff
    Free Member

The new hopes have a thinner spring.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Novatec.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The new hopes have a thinner spring.

I noticed that on the last batch of spare pawls and springs I ordered. Looks like they’ll rust through even quicker.

In the past I’ve seen new Hope hubs with so much freewheeling resistance that you cant spin the pedals backwards without the chain dropping.

Northwind

DT240 are expensive but brilliant. They do still click, but it’s nothing like as loud as a Hope (it can be a wee bit erratic though, which I guess could be annoying)

Formula’s cartridge hubs are very close to silent but not so easy to find them aftermarket.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there’s probably a silent clutch hub on the classifieds. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

The clicking on DT240s is the star ratchets – a thin smear of their grease and they’re near silent. The ones on my MTB are very quiet, whilst the ones on my road bike I’ve not serviced for ages are really rather loud (at least on par with Pro 2s!).

Been impressed with A2Z as well though.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Halo Spin Doctor, if it clicks, it wants grease shoving up it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope XC with a Ti freehub, same weight as a pro2, should be able to pick one up for Pro2 money off ebay easily. The freehubs can be greased to quieten them witout any ill effects .

martymac

dmr revolver has a quiet click, and sealed bearings.
    ive had mine for 2 years now, still runniing perfect.
    i am really heavy, so any component i use must be fairly strong to cope with the 23 stone mashing.
    EDIT: when i say quiet, i mean a lot quieter than hope, its not silent.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Halo Spin Doctors are on par with if not louder than hopes!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a non hope hub’ is closed to new replies.