Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Fashionistas of STW: recommend me a new jacket
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Looking for something fairly smart (to wear with shoes and a shirt – business casual, dahling) but also to wear everyday with jeans and Vans.

Ultimately after something with a removable lining and removable / stowaway hood.

Definitely looking more at ethical companies, but not seen anything that ticks all the boxes yet.

No bum-freezers!

There is a fairly conservative price limit, but I’d probably find a way to pay for something I really like as long as it’s not the cost of a new frame.

So, What are your suggestions fashionistas of STW?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Looking for something fairly smart

Ultimately after something with a removable lining and removable / stowaway hood.

These two statements are, to my mind, mutually exclusive.

A woolen car coat and a hat.

gobuchul
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Long wollen type jacket or something of a similar style for bus/cas then whatever works for the rest

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jacket + Jeans = Clarkson.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Jacket + Jeans = Clarkson.

He’s just copying the French. Which is rather ironic, really.

lunge

Shoes and shirt, jeans and Vans, removable liner, fairly smart. Nope, I think you’re going to struggle there.

The only jackets I wear with both the above combo’s are a softshell and a light padded jacket. Neither are smart, neither have removable liners and neither are in any way what i think you want.

I’m out I’m afraid.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The only jackets I wear with both the above combo’s are a softshell and a light padded jacket. Neither are smart, neither have removable liners and neither are in any way what i think you want.

😆

Yeah, I think I may be after the moon on a stick.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Anything by North Face

Sounds like something along the lines of a Berghaus, although ‘smart’ might be stretching it..

Blacks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

although ‘smart’ might be stretching it..

yeah, practical and smart are very different things, for me a city coat is very different to staying dry

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

yeah, practical and smart are very different things, for me a city coat is very different to staying dry

Maybe my English skillz is letting me down.

Practical and presentable, maybe? A city coat is definitely going too ‘business’ and not enough ‘casual’. I need to be able to stand on a freezing platform while SW Trains forget their timetable, go to various northern hemisphere cities in the winter with a minimal suitcase and still look presentable, and walk from transport hubs to offices and home in the worst a southern winter can throw at me. If I can wear it to the beach too that would be a bonus.

Anything by North Face

😆

I’m in the process of selling my old TNF jackets.

ElShalimo

If you’ve got the cash, Arcteryx, Peak Performance and Haglofs do smart technical urban/city coats which might suit your needs

mugsys_m8

Something from Fjallraven?

lorax

I have a Jack Wolfskin North Country jacket that does most, but not all, of what you want. It has a removable hood, but not lining. It is warm and waterproof, has plenty of pockets, and strikes a good balance between smart and casual. I use it for all my work trips during the winter.

I wouldn’t wear it to the beach though….

Digby

Anything by North Face

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I’m in the process of selling my old TNF jackets.

Best of luck to you!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Best of luck to you!

Yeah, thanks… 😐

Speeder

Howies Ventile

Bit pricey but should feel great. I’ve had a a couple of Ventile jackets over the years and they’ve been very comfortable, windproof and quiet.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Have a look here:
    MrPorter

kayak23

Hebtroco have a new jacket. It’s very nice indeed.
    Don’t think it’s got a hood though.
    I’ll shut up….

growinglad
    Free Member

selaciosa – Member
    https://www.apc.fr/wwuk/men/clothing/coats-parkas.html

https://www.folkclothing.com/collections/mens-outerwear

I thought Switzerland had some silly prices. The price of some of those jackets from that second site were eye watering for what they were ???

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hebtroco have a new jacket. It’s very nice indeed.
    Don’t think it’s got a hood though.
    I’ll shut up…

Where’s it made? 😉

(I will have a look tho)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Howies Ventile

Bit pricey but should feel great. I’ve had a a couple of Ventile jackets over the years and they’ve been very comfortable, windproof and quiet.

Top of my list TBH. I was just seeing what else there was out there. The padded version is lovely (if only the hood came off…)

If you’ve got the cash, Arcteryx, Peak Performance and Haglofs do smart technical urban/city coats which might suit your needs

Not really, but I am checking SP.

Something from Fjallraven?

Leftfield. I like it. I’d not considered them to be perfectly honest.

I have a Jack Wolfskin North Country jacket that does most, but not all, of what you want. It has a removable hood, but not lining. It is warm and waterproof, has plenty of pockets, and strikes a good balance between smart and casual. I use it for all my work trips during the winter.

I wouldn’t wear it to the beach though….

That does look good. Beach in winter too. Not summer; that would be daft (and very hot).

selaciosa
    Free Member

I thought Switzerland had some silly prices. The price of some of those jackets from that second site were eye watering for what they were ???

Yeah mebbes :/

Barbour isn’t a bad shout. Is Dept B still going? Got a Mills a few years ago and whilst not cheap they last and develop a nice look with age

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A nice Barbour?

The older I get the more I think my Grandpa was onto something.

Are they as good as they used to be? I heard they went a bit Timberland.

selaciosa
    Free Member

Have a look at the Barbour Beacon Sports (used to be the Dept B Commander) – proper nice jacket that.

RustySpanner

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    A nice Barbour?
    The older I get the more I think my Grandpa was onto something.
    Are they as good as they used to be? I heard they went a bit Timberland.

Despite what they say on the website, many now made abroad.
    Bedales, Beauforts and Borders still seem to be made in South Shields.

Still seem to be good quality though.

plumber
    Free Member

https://uberfunction.com/men.html

the best in my opinion – you will need a mortgage though for your new coat

I have one, so does my brother – the perfect jacket if there is such a thing

TheDTs
    Free Member

Quite happy with my new Barbour, surprisingly warm.

ThePinkster

I was just about to recommend a Barbour too.

The great thing about them is the they look better the older they get and Barbour do a great repair service – My Trail jacket has been to them many times and just seems to develop more personality every time it comes back.

dmck16
    Free Member

Agree with those above – a Barbour would be pretty versatile, should hold up to some weather well too.

How about this?

DrJ

I was just about to recommend a Barbour too.

You are Prince Charles AICMFP

nickc

A nice Barbour

Oxymoron

nerd
    Free Member

M65 field jacket in black or navy. You can get slim fitting ones now, as opposed to the huge army issue ones.
    Warm and even warmer with the button in lining.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They are worryingly nice looking. But, wow – I assume it’s buy once, buy well?

M65 field jacket in black or navy. You can get slim fitting ones now, as opposed to the huge army issue ones.
    Warm and even warmer with the button in lining.

That’s a bloody good call – thanks.

miketually
    Free Member

M65 field jacket

Finisterre did a version of this, in beeswax impregnated cotton. If it was actually water proof/resistant, it’d be great. Unfortunately, it’s not so mine’s spent several years on a hook not being used. I keep meaning to try reproofing it.

Howies Ventile

I really like the look of these, but a bit pricey.

I got a Howies waterproof in black, with is neat and tidy, and waterproof without screaming “outdoor jacket”. Not listed on their site at the moment, but there’s a similar-looking one for far less than the ventile jacket.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fashionistas of STW: recommend me a new jacket’ is closed to new replies.