Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • recommend me a new hobby
  • squealer
    Free Member

So,obviously being on this forum i already ride bikes. i’ve also got a camper van which gets used a fair bit.

I’ve got a wife, 4 year old boy and another baby on the way and i’m looking for a hobby that i can do with the 4 year old. Basically something that we can do together in the evenings/ weekends but deosnt take up too much time.

Any recommendations other than the usual (football and so on)?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Blimey..suprised you will have time. Nothing wrong with getting the playdough out or drawing/painting.

Olly
    Free Member

Bit of gardening? Grow some veg or something? Chuck in a small pond if you’ve got space and do some nature bothering. Ponds rock.

qwerty
    Free Member

Kung Fu

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

EDIT : Just seen you’ve excluded cycling so discount this

http://www.redhillcc.co.uk/page/redhill-raiders

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can you narrow it down a bit? Some indoor crafty thing (airfix, lego, etc.) Or outdoorsy (bit of light bushcraft maybe?) Or something sporty (climbing, swimming, etc.)?

Edit… shed experiments , backyard ballistics?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Coding.

footflaps

Glue sniffing?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

skateboarding?

happyrider
    Free Member

Olly, I tried pond chucking, it didn’t go down well with the toddler or the mother… (It was my child)

Papier-mâché fort would be fun if you have space?

dannybgoode

Astronomy – excuse for camping trips and buying stuff. Its what i’ll be doing with my little boy when he’s older.

Whilst out camping you can get in to your bushcrafts and also photography.

To cap it off it will give you an excuse to get in to amateur radio so you can a) contact people in an emergency and b) do the SOTA challenge.

traildog
    Free Member

For outdoors
    My little one loves gardening and watching things grow.
    Geocaching.

For indoors, how about model making?

Drac

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Kites? Remote control cars? Planes?

I think the biggest problem you’re going to find with a 4 year old is attention span..or lack of.

seosamh77
    Free Member

try out various sports, see what the wee man seems to enjoy/has a natural affinity for and stick at that? might be a bit on the young side for that mind.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Martial arts

squealer
    Free Member

wow, i didnt expect so many responses that quickly. Some awesome ideas there.
    We’ve already got a pond in the garden so thats already been done.

Winning ideas so far are the growing stuff in the garden, kites and both the ideas from Mr Blobby.

He cant do martial arts until he’s 5 in June so that’ll be next.

thanks guys.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Chickens. Fence off a bit of the garden and you and your son can enjoy their company, bit of cleaning out and feeding and the eggs of course. Really very easy to look after as long as you have an automatic door opener/closer.

Growing easy stuff like sunflowers courgettes is another enjoyable thing for you both.

oliwb
    Free Member

Sailing or kayaking? You could even build your own boat together:
    Mirror dinghy….

Depending on finances you can cheat and get ready made sheets of ply:
    Mirror kit….

Oli.

BigDummy
    Free Member

nature bothering

LOLz. My wife will happily spend 30 minutes at a time looking for newts in our pond. It’s great. 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

Realistically, Xbox, start with the lego series.

allfankledup

My youngest started judo at 3 and a half. She’s a baby ninja, worlds most lethal 5 yr old, mostly down to her temper.

Scooting, get so e micro scooters…..

maxtorque

Guatemalan Blob Fish Juggler

matt_outandabout

Walking and lecking about outdoors – get a tarp, some bushcrafty fire starting stuff, and go let kids be kids outdoors. (while you crack on with the burgers…)
    Our lot (including the super secret camp near our house.. ;))
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mAUPEW]IMG_1046[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mATn3t]IMG_1043[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mAUG5f]IMG_1044[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Another STW forumite
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mTEPjT]Lubnaig canoe and walk[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mTFmzB]Lubnaig canoe and walk[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is he too young for a spot of birdwatching..

1-shed
    Free Member

For evenings in make your own play dough two cups of flour glug of vegetable oil and about one cup of water, add in vanilla extract and glitter and a bit of food colouring.

papier mache fond memories of making a Viking hat wrapping a balloon with newspaper and adding horns.

building blocks and small world figures, let your imagination run wild.

washing the car or anything using a bucket and sponge.

marbling, oil inks and water beautiful results even for the most cack handed child.

yoga.

stories.

cooking.

just for starters.

JoeG
    Free Member

Internet arguing! 😈

batfink
    Free Member

yoga.

I was going to suggest that – seems ideal for the evenings, calming down before bed etc.

NZCol

A 4yr old doing Yoga. Brilliant.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Try a spot of guitar playing, I bought my son one when he was 4, he’s played about a bit with it but wants to get a bit more into it now (he’s 6 now) He’ll be miles better than I’ll ever be if he keeps it up as he’s had a 15 year headstart on me. We “jam” for half an hour every couple of days combined with a few exercises from his book.

As above, Lego’s always a good one 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

Indoor climbing.
    I can’t wait to start with mini-chojin!
    A shame he’s only 3 months old 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

Quite popular I believe.

But you’re right, it’s not as good as your suggestion. Oh, hang on….

JCL
    Free Member

Slot Machines? Betting Shops? Horse Racing? Tattoos?

So much to do.

muggomagic

What about swimming? It’s a great form exercise, a useful skill to learn at that age (if not already a swimmer) and you can just go and have fun.

I think 4 is a little too young for any martial art, we get a lot of kids between 4-6 start and they don’t tend to last too long as I think they find it quite hard to learn. The kids that start at 8+ they seem to enjoy it a lot more.
    If you do fancy that though be careful to chose your club wisely, there are a lot of clubs out there that push the kids through gradings and you’ll be constantly paying out fees.

nealglover
    Free Member

My niece loves it. She hardly ever stays still for more than 2 minutes but my OH taught her some simple Yoga and she does it for half an hour easily.

The longest she’s ever been quiet 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a new hobby’ is closed to new replies.