• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ajr.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a new frame, would you kindly
  • catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Well, I’m a bit bored on nightshift so I thought I would see what STWs’ideas for a new full sus frame for myself would be.. I currently have a blur classic (With V-brake bosses! To give you an idea of its vintage) that I’m pondering replacing for a few reasons- mostly, as great as the VPP system is, having lots of bearings in the linkage isnt ideal for the mostly wet climate in Northern Ireland. Also, as its a fairly old frame & i’m not the most skilled of riders, I suspect the likely hood if a weld snapping or other crash damage is a bit increased, as I’m not a light fella.

The kit on it is mostly newish & a decent enough spec that makes me inclined to get a new frame rather than a whole new bike- it has magura thors, so 140mm travel and a decent enough everything else.

I’m liking the look of the new ragley full susers, but as the suspension looks like VPP, then I’m guessing I’ll have the same thing with the bearings? Or the Genesis Grapil, which on paper looks good.. (and the logos are rite swish looking!)

Oh, and I mostly do XC / Trail / Singletrack style of riding. Nothing to extreme.

So yeah, any recommendations?

Ta 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Heckler perhaps? Single pivot so there’s hardly anything to go wrong. If it’s anything like a Bullit they’re loads of fun to ride 🙂

Mugboo

Didn’t they drop the Heckler to £900 as well?

Mugboo

Lots of Cotic Hemlocks coming up second hand. Under £500. Under 7lbs. 120/160 rear or 100/160 rear mk1 frame. Perfect with a 140 fork for ST. 67 HA with a 160 fork.

Just sold mine and have nothing but positive things to say, just time for a change 🙂

Bregante

Heckler is now up to £1099 with a float R shock.

uplink
    Free Member

Lots of Cotic Hemlocks coming up second hand.

Bizarrely, all the Hemlocks I’ve seen in the flesh have been broken
    The last one was at Kielder last month, it had the seat tube broken in half.
    I’m fairly sure I can’t have seen a representative sample though

ajr
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

ruscle
    Free Member

Sounds like your in need of a Yeti ASR-5 to me. Got mine for £1350 from freeflowbikes.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Like the look of that orange one! Less bearings than the blur at least!

vondally
    Free Member

Turner 5 spot or Flux….very uk wet friendly
    Heckler…..trusted and reliable
    Yeti 5 …..good option but i found them a bit flexy but i was close to 16st then.

Trekster

Transition Bandit is my fav/on wish list atm

Mugboo

My Hemlock has done 3 years without a moments bother and it was an ex demo rear end on a new front end. Lots of local, techy stuff, a mince down the Fort Bill DH and the odd six foot drop!

Rickos
    Free Member

Yeti ASR5
    Transition Bandit

They’d be my two for brand new.

carbon337
    Free Member

Orange St4

this_wreckage
    Free Member

This will no doubt be an unpopular suggestion which I will get flamed for in all likelihood but, have you considered a Maverick Durance or ML8? Same number of bearings as a single pivot and the Durance is simply the best climbing bike I have ever ridden 😀

If it has any weakness it’s that there are plusher suspension designs when it comes to nailing the downs (although the ML8 is more that way orientated than the Durance). Oh, and the looks aren’t to everyone’s taste…

Durance 140mm travel

ML8 165mm travel

nick1962
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FTTITFTMCARRS/titus-ftm-carbon-frame-and-monarch-shock

These got rave reviews all round at twice the current price they are now at On One.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

My Hemlock has done 3 years without a moments bother and it was an ex demo rear end on a new front end. Lots of local, techy stuff, a mince down the Fort Bill DH and the odd six foot drop!

Yep, been reading up on the hemlock looks good 🙂

Lots of bike brands here I had never even heard of! The Maveric certanly looks interesting! I think it could be a bit too much of a marmite thing with me!

These got rave reviews all round at twice the current price they are now at On One.

Yep, thats certanly on the shortlist! Silly price for a full carbon full bouncer, reviews look good too 🙂 Will be interesting to see what Brant does with the brand.

kudos100
    Free Member

2010 Saracen Ariel. Job done.

Russell96

Ride both a Blur Classic prob same year as yours (swingarm has brake bosses) and a Hemlock, would say the Hemlock with 120mm rockers and short-ish forks (135-140) feels quite similar in the way it climbs compared to the Blur, but a fair different on the descents..

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Ride both a Blur Classic prob same year as yours (swingarm has brake bosses) and a Hemlock, would say the Hemlock with 120mm rockers and short-ish forks (135-140) feels quite similar in the way it climbs compared to the Blur, but a fair different on the descents..

Hopefully better on the way down? I like how the blur descends, but with the iffy travel adjust on the thors (great forks otherwise) the front is a bit wandery at 140mm travel on the way up.

Mugboo

My Hemlock had 160/130/110 forks and I could climb most things at 160. 130 made things easy so you should be fine at 140 🙂

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

The more I read about this Ventana El Ciclon, the more I like it (the orange one recommended by ajr) Anyone know if they have a retailer in the uk / What the RRP is?

shooterman

If you get an El Ciclon I’d love to see it in the flesh! I’ve been considering one for a while.

I’m also in NI. I’ve also had a Blur classic. I’m riding a Titus at the minute. It climbs as well as the Blur but descends far better. The price on the FTM isn’t bad but I’m not convinced about carbon fibre yet!

ajr
    Free Member

The Uk importer is Riverside Cycle Centre. The 2012 El Ciclon frame is £1599.00. It has internal cable routing, PF30 bb, 30.9 seatpost. Test rides are available. Please contact me at riversidecycles@hotmail.com or 01621 858240 if you would like full details. Alan.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new frame, would you kindly’ is closed to new replies.