Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a new corkscrew
  • onandon
    Free Member

The corkscrew just broke so recommend me a good one – not a cheap crap one or the campagnolo thing.
    What’s good ?

nedrapier

Waiters’ friend with a wee fold out blade, 2 stage lever and Teflon coated corkscrew.

PePPeR

The cheaper plastic version of the campagnolo corkscrew is Brill, I bought one from singletrackworld when they had them on offer, it’s an occasion opening a bottle of wine with it.

mogrim

Waiters’ friend with a wee fold out blade, 2 stage lever and Teflon coated corkscrew.

This – I’ve tried many fancy corkscrews, but the one that works best is also one of the simplest.

wwaswas

I got one from stw like pepper and it’s been great too 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Arrrggghh, didn’t know singletrack did one. That would have been great.

cranberry
    Free Member

Have a look at Monopol corkscrews.

clicky

Clever designs and built like tanks.

jon1973
    Free Member

£40 ???

winston
    Free Member

Vacu Vin Twister.

Best corkscrew bar none and not even expensive – everybody in the wine trade use them

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PMMdN4AFtqE[/video]
    Backup

slowoldman

I have one of those awesome £80 Screwpull jobs. I tend to use my cheap waiter’s friend.

lunge

Nedrapier speaks the truth here.

bowman
    Free Member

The best waiters friend with the Teflon and foil cutter is made by Pulltaps. It has double acting lever which makes even really stubborn corks a doddle. Not as cheap as you think but nothing works better.

neilnevill
    Free Member

How about an Alessi parrot sommelier knife, posh, cool, functional and a decent price at just under £30

ce9adp
    Free Member

The basic plastic screwpull one.

Murray

Love the Alessi take on a waiter’s friend. Very nice.

If you want something funkier, try a Rabbit. I got one as a gift a few years ago and alternate between it and an old Wine Rack waiter’s friend.

BillMC

My favourite is a waiter’s friend free from Mateus Rose about 25 years ago. They still appear on Ebay.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The Alessi one isn’t very robust though. The pivots on our one went all floppy not long after we got it. It’s still in the drawer, but I couldn’t recommend it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Those ‘rabbit’ ones are rubbish in my experience. The screw seems to break all the time (I thought it was odd when I got one in a presentation box with a spare, I soon found out why). They take up too much room and end up at the back of a cupboard because you can’t be faffed getting it out all the time.

Waiter’s friend here too. Mine is a cheapo one bought from Threshers – I know because it has it printed in the cheap plastic handle – years and years ago (I think by my late dad but somehow now in my house) and it’s just there in the drawer waiting to be used and never failed me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The La Coutale is easily the best corkscrew I’ve ever used. IT looks like a waiter’s mate but it’s a subtle improvement, pulling the cork straighter, more easily and with you working by pushing downwards rather than pulling up.

sandwicheater

Simple waiters friend. Still have the same one when I was a waiter 15 years ago.

cranberry
    Free Member

£40 ???

It isn’t cheap, but is made of solid metal and it will last a lifetime or two and can reliably be used to kill zombies.

roper
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyauJveXqxM[/video]

Sundayjumper

Buy wine with screw tops. Problem solved.

FWIW we bought my Dad the pukka Campag one ages ago and it’s totally not worth it.

chris_db
    Free Member

Screwpull(tm) – very clever two stage system, very easy to use.

Hic

lunge

Just get one of these (though mine has a serrated blade, better if you can get it), I have one from my waiting days and there is nothing better in my eyes. Sure, you can spend more but you’ll struggle to get anything that opens wine more easily or cleanly.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dependent on how you drink your wine:

1) waiters friend if you just want to open and drink a bottle and it tends to get finished every time.

2) fancy but pointless if as above you drink a full bottle but want something different

3)Gadget Goodness if you drink a glass here and there or a few different wines across dinner

edhornby

sorry winston – the wine trade don’t use vacuvin twisters, they use waiters friends

the one lunge has pictured is perfect because it has the two stage side lever

onandon
    Free Member

I’m liking the fancy but pointless option 🙂 just wondering what could’ve launched with it.

the-muffin-man

You buy wine that has corks? – how very lardy-dah! 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Screw caps are trendy now and really no impact on the majority of wines. There’s an argument corks are better for aged wines, but has to be a stupidly expensive really old wine to benefit and even then there’s some argument that it’s all BS and much in the industry that for younger wines a screw cap is better for the wine quality.

Anyway, I’ve got loads of corkscrews, old school Waiters Friend style to the cheap as chips wing corkscrew. The latter is the only one I use. Why? Because it’s the tool for the job. Screw snobbery and trying to look like a waiter jabbing in a twisty corkscrew, fiddling and then ending up with half a cork stuck in the bottle. I just want the cork out easy. Better still, screw cap 😛

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new corkscrew’ is closed to new replies.