Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a new chainset
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Not purchased any cranks/a chainset for quite a few years so a little out of touch with what is currently considered the better option.

Race face or Shimano?

It’s for an all mountain type bike but won’t receive much if any heavy usage.

I’ve had race face atlas and diabolus in the past but actually preferred the way Shimano attach.
    As in the axle is bonded to the drive side on Shimano, just thought that made more sense. But stuck with race face for quality.

remoterob
    Free Member

I consider Shimano the better option but I suspect that I am out touch and soon to be find out that the beet option is an obscure Middleburn product or an FSA chainset with a ‘never to be repeated’ BCD.

For your needs, SLX should offer good value.

hambl90
    Free Member

Shimano slx

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bazz

After spending much time deliberating over this before i have now decided that there is absolutely no reason to buy anything other than Shimano, set a budget and buy that which is closest.

IainAhh

Having had deore, xt, sram, slx which were / are all fine. I would go for SLX. Good price & nice and stiff. Great product.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Hard pressed to find better than THIS

qtip

Shimano SLX or XT, depending on how important weight is for you.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Shimano SLX or XT, depending on how important weight bling is for you.

FTFY 😉

fabs

Go for Shimano.

My bike came with a Race Face Deus XC chainset. Still using it but I now replace the cogs and bottom bracket with Shimano when they need changing.

(For some reason the Race Face BB and cogs wear out much faster, and they are interchangeable with Shimano bits anyway)

hamishthecat

Dales_rider – Member

Fine if you only want 170mm cranks. Or don’t need them to be in stock.

jambon
    Free Member

+1 SLX

Dales_rider
    Free Member

hamishthecat – Member

Dales_rider – Member

Fine if you only want 170mm cranks. Or don’t need them to be in stock.

I wondered about 170’s but they are fine I dont notice the 5mm / 1/5″ difference. In fact they dont strike lumps as often and maybe help with spinning faster.
    As for not in stock, do the email bit I did.

Northwind

Shimano are hard to beat, they just work. Nothing at all wrong with my FSA set mind (even compatible with Shimano BBs)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new chainset’ is closed to new replies.