Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a Munro for Sunday
  • honeybadgerx

So, me and the gf are planning to go for a wander on Sunday but can’t quite decide where, figured I’d search for inspiration on here!

Will be travelling from Edinburgh and ideally don’t want to be in the car too long as we’ve spent every previous weekend in the past two months driving down to Staffordshire to get our house on the market!

All suggestions welcome, we’re happy to cover a fair few miles so don’t be shy!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m quite partial to the ones around Arrochar – Ben Narnain, Ben Ime etc. or just across the road is Beinn an Lochann, just shy of a Munro but a lovely wee hill.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ben Lawers or the Tarmachan Ridge.

Harry_the_Spider

honeybadgerx

Should have said but did Ben Lawers in August! Cheers though glupton!

glupton1976
    Free Member

One thing you should know is that quite a few of them now have a good covering of snow on them just now above around 800m ish.

honeybadgerx

Harry, I’d happily do her all day sunday but I’m afraid the gf might object. Also, to be fair it’d have to be a bloody long cuddle to fill in the rest of the day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Schiehallion? Not too far. What about a 90 minute or so drive down to ardrossan and get the ferry over to Arran, takes 55 minutes. Some of the best ridge walking in the country, although not quite up to Munro height. Gorgeous island.

matt_outandabout

Are you used to snow and ice? We have a good covering here on the tops – I overlook Tarmachan and Lawers – and it is full on crampon and axe conditions.
    Lochearnhead Vorlich?

druidh
    Free Member

Schiehallion would be a fairly decent option. Excellent path to the ridge and then just watch your ankles through the boulder fields if it’s covered with soft snow.

amodicumofgnar

Not a Munro but below the snow line – Ben Venue (what a view). The access path is closed for loggin on the Achray side so you’d need to come up from Loch Ard.

druidh
    Free Member

DSC00210 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

DSC00218 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

As it happens, I might be up Ben Venue on Sunday.

amodicumofgnar

It’s definitely a cracking wee hill. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

bigG
    Free Member

An caisteal, cracking walk. Not technical and one of the least “bagged”
    Munros. Expect great views mixed with peace and quiet

Just south of Crianlarich

bruk

Poss try bag 2 in Dreish and Mayar, just up the road from Kirriemuir and forecast for east coast doesn’t look too bad for Sunday.

Otherwise always liked Lochnagar as a view but not best choice at this time of year without a v early start.

amodicumofgnar

There again there’s always Ben Ledi, which was mostly like this on the way up today:

, on Flickr

Then it stopped snowing and this happens…

a bit of Vorlich,

and something to come back to, well the top anyway, middle and bottom seem to be in a level beyond

athgray
    Free Member

Ben Achallader is good and less than 2 hours from Edinburgh. Ben Alder can be done surprisingly quickly if using a bike to Culra. It may have a fairly decent snow covering at the moment.
    Also a nice round of 4 munro’s West of the A9 at Drumochter.

amodicumofgnar

Ben Venue, less snow and more trees

Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Munro for Sunday’ is closed to new replies.