• This topic has 44 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sync.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Recommend me a multi tool with chain tool !
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

This evenings ride cut short by a snapped chain…… Not had this before ! End result a 4 mile walk to civilisation !

Funnily enough just a couple of days ago I was watching a video about what to carry on a mountain bike for emergencies….. One of which was a multi tool with chain tool for exactly the occasion I had tonight…..

So gentlemen….. Recommendations !?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Crank Brothers for me. I have had to use it for trail side chain repairs a few times. Can’t fault it.

Simon

Topeak Hexus

andeh

Have had a Topeak Hexus for years, it’s been great.

edhornby

Get a separate chain tool, park do a small one that is good quality

breadcrumb

Another vote for Topeak Hexus, great tool.

Rscott
    Free Member

topeak alien2

carlos
    Free Member

Crank Bros 19. Poss only thing they make that lasts and works and it should.

rideforrestride
    Free Member

Another vote for Crank Bros 19

Chris

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hexus. It’s teh shizznizz. Or something. Seriously good, really.

colournoise

Chain tool on my Topeak Alien 2 is awesome (assume the Hexus has the same one?).

Northwind

Hexus, the official tool of STW. Really that good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the official tool of STW

Pretty sure that there are a few other contenders! 😉

butcher

Topeak something or other here. Bought it 10 years ago. Still works great. Which is good enough for me.

andyv
    Free Member

Hexus

geoffj

Hexus is hard to beat, but birzman do one which is supposed to be good.

Jamie
    Free Member

bigblackshed

Topeak Hexus.

I’ve got three. One in the hydration pack, one each in two saddle packs. I’m OCD with tools, kit and spares when out on the bike. I don’t double up, just CBA swapping kit between bikes. Never let me down yet.

edlong
    Free Member

This. I find a chain tool much easier to use when it doesn’t have a multitool hanging off it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

And for balance…

Not this. The chain tool on the Hexus is much better than many separates

jsync

topeak rocket ratchet (not the lite one)

look no further

carlos
    Free Member

And for balance…

Not this. The chain tool on the Hexus is much better than many separates

As is the CB19 IMO

grtdkad

Topeak Alien II in my kit.

njee20
    Free Member

+204 for Hexus.

walla24
    Free Member

park rescue tool…new version has some awesome shiz

MikeWW
    Free Member

These Lezyne are brilliant

shedfull
    Free Member

+2 for Hexus as I bought another for the road bike. I’ve used the chain tool and it works better than my mini Park chain breaker – more leverage. If only I hadn’t lost one of the 6mm hex adapters.

chiefgrooveguru

Chain tool on my ancient Topeak Alien is excellent.

nikk
    Free Member

FIFY

BTW, Finishline Chain Pup FTW.

FOG

Another vote for Lezyne ,fixed a chain quickly in driving rain at the top end of Nidderdale when the alternative was a long walk.Doesn’t weigh much or take up much room either.
    I was disappointed in the tiny Park chain tool which broke the tip the second time I used it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Has the OP bought a Hexus yet?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crank bros 19, still going strong after 5 years and the chain tool is teh awsum

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The superstar £18 one is actually really nice. The chain tool is better than my separate toolkit one.

Superstar multitool here

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Topeak Mini 18 done the job on mine and strangers chains on a few occasions over 8 yrs.

bob_summers

Lezyne one snaps when you need it to do exactly the opposite. Will be replacing with a different one.what does the hive mind recommend?

😉

crispycross
    Free Member

Crank Bros. The Hexus is let down by a couple of things. It has loose bits for 8mm hex and T25, so they’ll get lost the first time you use them in long grass, plus you need to prise a bit off the side to use as a lever on the chain tool. On the CB, you need a bit more oomph to use the chain breaker, but it does work well and there are no small loose parts.

johnny

I wouldn’t recommend the Crank Bros one- it has a little knuckle on the chaintool that is there to stop you pushing the pin in the chain too far out. Unfortunately this means you can’t always push the chain far out enough to split the chain without bending the outer link, which then compromises the integrity of the chain after repair.

(As i found out at Gorrick on Sunday…)

However, i’ve had mine for years, and the design may have changed/or i might have just worn the pin on the tool down too far…? Id rather have one without this restriction, especially for use on SS chains too…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I used my CB tool to link my SS chain and to bodge a pin back in when I figured out I’d shortened it too far. Wasn’t too much hassle, but I was doing it in a garage and not trailside in a race. That’s what the KMC quick links are for!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

We’ll…. Thanks for all the input fellas……. I opted for the Hexus ……… In a way I hope not to have to report back on its effectiveness…… Fingers crossed. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a multi tool with chain tool !’ is closed to new replies.