Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend Me a Mousetrap & Appropriate Bait
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

We have cats, which of course means we have way more mice than average (they emply an ethical catch and release system).

I have heard big cheese traps and peanut butter are good choices.

dashed
    Free Member

Caramel out of mars bars works a treat, on a normal “little nipper” type of trap…

wwaswas

I’d go for the humane type traps unless you want cats with no noses and a plethora of ‘how do they smell’ type jokes.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I used snapper style traps a few years ago and caught jack! then swapped to a box trap and caught 6 over 3-4 days, just took them for a wee drive (very Sopranos…)

Bait – choc buttons and rice cakes worked, they never touched the cheese.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Ours worked out how to get out of the humane traps so it was back to ‘little nipper’ style ones for a more definite result.

+1 for peanut butter as bait…

Coyote
    Free Member

Go for the spring loaded wooden ones. Very humane in that they dispatch the little critters pretty much instantly. As for bait I’ve had most success with either margarine or peanut butter.

will
    Free Member

Spring trips with peanut butter worked, eventually. The spring was in a box so no risk of the out style treading on it issue etc…

franksinatra

The little blighters regulally take the bait off my traps without activating them. I kind of admire them in a ‘wish I could kill them’ way.

BenjiM

Little nipper with something full of carbs. Cheese won’t work, unless it’s a fruit cheese and you might as well use fruit. So choccy bars work well.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

mars bar or peanut butter worked well for my mum.

jambalaya
    Free Member

dashed – Member
    Caramel out of mars bars works a treat, on a normal “little nipper” type of trap…

Agreed, that’s our mode of operation

@frank – by using caramel/chocolate the bait is “welded” to the trap they cannot nip it off, well not easily.

CountZero

mars bar or peanut butter worked well for my mum.

I hope you buried her somewhere nice… 😀

JRTG
    Free Member

Peanut butter, humane traps and cats sorted our problem out in about a month. Let them free in the local farm for their “proper” cats to eat (mine just looked at the mice).

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

First one down within 12 hours (big cheese). Then 7 days later no more, so I assumed it was just the one mouse. THEN….

…..one cheeky beggar has stolen the peanut butter from one of them. Its cheeky, but now I know he exists, so its war…..

fasthaggis

Go for the chocolate raisin bait ,they love it
    🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

Bait, Salami worked for us.

franksinatra

I got fed up with the traditional spring type trap as I found to get them sensitive enough I had to adjust the lever and this made them difficult to set with them going off all of the time. Instead I got Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap, looks just like the Big Cheese plastic one.

Trap is really solid and easy to set, nice deep bait tray so in went my sticky peanut chocolate paste stuff that has sat in the cupboard unused for years. Checked the garage this morning and the trap was gone! Eventually found it on the other side of the garage under my work bench with a very much alive mouse attached by its broken rear legs. It had dragged itself right across the garage trying to get out I had to finish the job myself which wasn’t ideal. The trap has got lots of bit marks where poor Mr Mouse has tried to free himself 🙁

This has never happened with a traditional trap, I think though just bad luck (for the mouse) and not necessarily a design flaw with the trap.

Will see how we get on tonight!

Squidlord
    Free Member

Traditional “tom&jerry” style trap. Ugly, but quick dispatch. Only bait that worked on mine was bread soaked in bacon fat. And who can blame them, it’s lush…

MrNutt
    Free Member

lots of patience, a comfy stool and a sledge hammer.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Peanut butter works well as bait.

For traps I’d go for the traditional spring type. I’ve used the more modern ones that are like a big bulldog clip. Unfortunately it didn’t kill, just maim, and I had to finish it off in the morning.

matthewjb
    Free Member

englishbob
    Free Member

Poison in a cardboard box with a saucer of water next to it. If you go this route think carefully about your cats though. For those without pets/children in the vicinity, open the bag and put the poison pellets on another saucer next to the water.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me a Mousetrap & Appropriate Bait’ is closed to new replies.