Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • recommend me a mountain to walk up in Snowdonia…
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

…and not Snowdon, Tryfan or Cadair Idris.
    heading up there this weekend with some mates for some walking and beer drinking. would like to go up some new peaks, so anyone got a recommendation? In the past alway seem to end up going one these three, to please other group members.
    cheers ears

chakaping
    Free Member

Glyders Fawr and Fach and Y Garn can be done together to make a nice long horseshoe-ish walk.

Meol Hebog is very pleasant IIRC.

Arenig Fawr/Fach a bit further south are nice and quiet.

anjs
    Free Member

How hard / technical do you want it?

iolo
    Free Member

Moelwyn Fach, Moelwyn Fawr, Cnicht

franksinatra

Carnedd Dafydd and Carnedd Llewelynn always make a nice day out.

dyls

Moel siabod via daer du ridge.

Or

Carneddau loop

MrSmith
    Free Member

moelwyn mawr from Tanygrisiau.
    you walk past the lake on your right hand side and past the ruined church that’s been photographed to death and on up through the abandoned slate mines then between the 2 massive holes dug into the mountain up to the summit. it’s where i take non-walkers as it’s an odd landscape with lots of stops to look at strange things like the slate works and the old spoil tips and tunnels. better than a foggy slog up glyder fach

franksinatra

Followed by beer and dancing in the Sandancer, wouldn’t you agree iolo?

mark90
    Free Member

A nice less travelled route (that’s not circular and therefore best with two cars) is Carnedd Dafydd from Bethesda up Crib Lem (grade 1 scramble, same as tryfan) then along to Carnedd Llyewelyn, then drop down to Ogwen valley /A5.

Moel Siabod from Capel Curig side is also usually a nice quiet walk.

timidwheeler

Cnict is lovely if you fancy getting to the pub early. For a longer route the glyders horseshoe or the carnedds horseshoe.
    Or
    Check the mountain weather forecast in the morning and head for the area with the best weather/ highest cloud base.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

great, thanks guys. I wouldn’t say we were going for technical, as we’re not going to be roped up or anything like that, but we are fairly experienced. looking for to a night in the pub with the OS map. cheers. shame those names are so damn tricky…

ElShalimo

Nantlle Ridge
    Put a car at each end and do it as a linear walk. Its about 7 miles with lots of gentle up & down after the initial ascent from Rhyd-Du. It really is one of the best walks in Wales.
    The ridge is west of the biggest hills and a bit lower so tends to get better weather. The walk along the ridge is lovely and the views of Snowdonia, Lleyn Peninsula, Anglesey and Tremadoc Bay are wonderful
    Plus it’s a lot quieter than the usual honey-pots so you’ll get to enjoy it

molgrips
    Free Member

Glyders. Top walk, weird landscape up top – like being an ant on a beach.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Tryfan is the only peak i’ve done in Snowdonia (I think its in Snowdonia) and it was pretty breathtaking. Quite challenging, quite a few areas where we were practically rock climbing, but maybe that’s just the route we took up there. I was alot younger then.

stever
    Free Member

Some good suggestions up there – Nantlle ridge is a good call if you’ve got 2 cars.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Lots of good calls – hardest part will be choosing rather than finding where to go 😀

I’d take Glyder Fach/Fawr over Carnedd Dafydd/Llewellyn as they’re a lot more interesting up top.

Always really enjoy Moel Siabod too – there’s a good scramble which can be as tricky or easy as you want to make it. Also, its location means you get great views of the whole area which you don’t always have when you’re right in the middle of it.

Lots of insipration HERE by the way

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

brilliant, thanks all! the pair of Glyders plus Tryf looks like it might just fit the bill. fingers crossed for decent weather…

mark90
    Free Member

Tryfan, Bristly ridge, Glyders then down Yr Gribin or Devils Kitchen is a cracking day out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a mountain to walk up in Snowdonia…’ is closed to new replies.