• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a mountain biking softshell
  • Shackleton

My faithful original Gore Phantom has finally died and is beyond repair. I am sad.

I’ve tried to find replacements for it and can’t find anything that looks to be as good as it.

All I want is the basic, original softshell defining qualities:

1. Breathable and wicking
    2. Close fitting
    3. Windproof
    4. Can (should) be worn next to the skin

Plus:
    5. Tough enough to cope with a backpack and mountain biking
    6. drizzle/shower/splash proof (as far as any softshell is)

Optional:
    7. Removable arms (less of an issue since moving to Scotland….)

The phantom did all of this. I’ve tried the Phantom II and as far as I’m concerned it is nothing like the original and besmirches the name. It is frankly a sweaty, ill fitting piece of shite with no redeeming features beyond stopping the world having to witness my unclad body. I gave it away after two rides to my brother and refused to accept payment as that it what I felt it was worth.

I’m at the point where I realise I may have to pay more than I want but am now prepared to do so price is not (for now) a consideration.

So, ideas…….?

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve been riding with one of these since mid November.

Karrimor Hotrock

It’s not really waterproof but it’s not very thick so I haven’t overheated. It’s quite long in the body and arms so it keeps you covered when on the bike.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my favourite softshells are the Exteondo ones. Quite roadie though, and certainly a closer fit than the beer-belly phantom2, as you say.

iainc

Current softshells are generally designed to be worn over a baselayer. You may need to reconsider…

scotroutes

That.

I bought one of the Polaris Enduro softshells a few months ago and prefer it to my Phantom II. In fact, I bought another in their recent sale.

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-Enduro-softshell-mountain-biking-jacket-p/pol01-5313-p.htm

£25 – got to be worth a punt?

Del

i don’t rate my phantom either. seems the worst of all worlds.
    i have a hagloffs boa, well actually two now because i liked it so much. long sleeves that can be pulled right up past your elbows, nice chin piece to hide behind if required, and a hood that will fit over a lid when you’re standing around, but will also cinch down sufficiently to be useful without a lid and move with your head. lightish ( for a softshell ), breaths well, does a pretty decent job of keeping rain out, stretches better than the gore.
    could do with a napolean pocket or the two side pockets being further up.
    i think mine’s about 5 years old now. i did scorch off some bobbles/pulls with a lighter last year.
    not cheap but cheaper than the gore and so much more useful for me, and actually i think the second one i got for about 60 quid.

Shackleton

Cheers all. Sadly I’m not Haglofs shape (too wide for my height it seems) and really don’t want a hood.

For £25 the Polaris one has to worth a try. Any other ideas welcome…….

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’ve got an older version of the mountain equipment mission jacket which I think is great for mountain biking

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/mission-jacket

Active / alpinist cut so close fitting that stretches with your body, what I would describe as a mid weight soft shell with no lining so you don’t Over heat on the bike, high level of windproofness, pit zips if it does get too warm on a big climb, hood large enough to go over helmet but can be adjusted down when not wearing one, does a decent job of keeping the water out (but not water proof), can roll sleeves up to elbows (which I like) and has taken an absolute bartering on the bike with repeated washes with no special care / soaps / proofers to no perceivable detriment.

You do need to wear a base layer underneath it though. I just use a thin wicking layer the majority of the time or a thicker winter base layer / light mid layer as temperatures approach zero. Picked one up for c £100

backinireland
    Free Member

Rab vapour rise?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Endura stealth?

jambalaya
    Free Member

£60 for a Haglofs is a steal based on rrp

That Polaris is hard to ignore at £25 too, hum ….

iainc

That Polaris one is a cracking deal……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a mountain biking softshell’ is closed to new replies.