Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Recommend me a motorbike for 40 mile each way per day commute.
  • Marge
    Free Member

I commmute a little bit further on a BMW1150GS & it does a great job.
    Comfy, warm, nice seating position to see who is going to cut you up next.
    ABS brakes to avoid 'panic' issues when some d*ck changes lanes without indicating. Big fuel tank (& gauge) so not stopping every other day to fill up.

Before that I was using a ZX9R & that does a surprisingly good job. They are also dirt cheap. Did some great long distance trips on the Kawa too.

rockhopperbike

old R1100RT BMW, low stressed engine, good fairing and pannier, not likely to be thrashed. IMHO

seriously look at aerostich one piece suit and your getting ready time will be halved.

lids- mate of mine races- "he's never been knocked out in an Arai!!" – good recomendation when you have binned it as many times as Jeff has!

Norton
    Free Member

Not sure whether it counts as a motorbike but I used a Suzuki 650 Burgman for a 90 mile round trip commute for 2 years – ride though anything short of a torrential downpour without waterproofs, great luggage capacity, virtually zero day to day maintenance and auto transmission linked to reasonably gutsy motor really makes sense in heavy traffic.

Northwind

"I commmute a little bit further on a BMW1150GS & it does a great job."

Do you not find it a bit, well, enormous? I nearly bought a bike with the boxer in (Boxercup Replika) a couple of years ago til the testride revealed it was impossible to get it down the side path due to the width of the damn engine :mrgreen: Great bikes but I'd miss the skinnyness of my SV when filtering in stuck traffic (which he will be, going on the motorway into glasgow)

konabunny
    Free Member

i got two sets of moulded ear plugs made for me, both with different inserts. TBH i don't rate them that much, i prefer the disposable foam ones most of the time.

Bugger. I don't get on well with the disposables and I was hoping mouldeds were going to be the solution.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bugger. I don't get on well with the disposables and I was hoping mouldeds were going to be the solution.

We had some made a few years ago, they are brilliant. They don't cut out quite as much noise as foam plugs either, which is handy in traffic. I've worn them for thousands of miles and they're still fine

🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

I got the Alpine ones from HG, which have 2 different noise reduction levels. Quite comfy. Only issue is I can hardly hear my own bike 😥

Aristotle
    Free Member

You want a comfortable, narrow bike that doesn't cost a lot to run. It needn't look fast or nick-able. Something that might also be fun at weekends(ie. most bikes) would make sense. See what it available. Heated grips are excellent. A tail-pack or top-box is useful. Panniers are too wide.

Get a helmet that fits well and has a good visor seal(-check it)

Try a few ear plugs and buy a big box of the most effective.
    -I use Howard Leight laser (I think). I find that foam ones need to be rolled very small at the point for them to work at their best. Don't just plonk them half-heartedly into your ear.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

What you need is a first generation Aprilia Tuono.

Massive vtwin grunt, bombproof engine, small fairing to keep the wind off and a commanding riding position. Not too good on petrol but huge fun and very economical on front tyres 😉

Oh and I've got one for sale if you are interested!

redthunder
    Free Member

honda vfr 750

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a motorbike for 40 mile each way per day commute.’ is closed to new replies.