Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • recommend me a motherboard and chipset
  • spchantler
    Free Member

right bmw/audi driving it experts, i want to build a pc for music production. can anyone recommend a supplier of parts? i know there’s maplin, but does anyone have actual experience of good service etc? i need, for starters, motherboard, processor, storage and ram, poss power supply. or shall i just buy off the shelf?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Posted this 20 odd minutes ago and no-ones told you to buy an Apple!(Jobs Law)

I’ve been very happy with ebuyer in the past.

Northwind

Maplin are terrible- they keep old stock at its original price even when it’s totally outdated, and it chokes their shelves with crap since they can’t sell it.

The big online places make much more sense. Your Dabs, Overclockers, etc. Don’t really know who’s good these days, they’re all much of a muchness.

But if you’re buying that many parts, it’ll probably make sense to buy a complete unit- are there any special hardware needs?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spchantler
    Free Member

yes, would like a mac, can’t afford a new one like, shall start new thread about 2nd hand. Northwind, no special hardware needs, that will come from thomann, bundled with software ie mbox and pro tools

chrssmale
    Free Member

Built a Hackintosh for a mate last year, just as good as any mac but a lot lot cheaper. Lots of info on the web with regards to components etc and not hard at all to put together.
    You could scan the web for all the components etc using ebuyer, dabs, aria, overclockers etc. But, depending on how competent you are with a pc, maybe buying a complete unit from a online retailer could be a better idea.

Cougar

Scan is my go-to supplier for bits, but that’s at least in part because they’re in driving / kicking distance. Their bare-bones systems are pretty good, and their ‘today only’ offers are worth perusing.

Time was that a DIY build was cheaper than a prebuilt system, but that’s not really the case any more. The real advantage to DIY is that you get exactly what you want.

Motherboard, I’d be looking at Gigabyte / Acer / ASUS / DFI, though I’m a bit out of touch these days. Maybe pick up a copy of Custom PC and see what they’re getting overly excited about this week.

edhornby

have a think about what music interfaces you’ll be using and software you will run on it, make sure everything is compatible and then think about the OS that you’ll run, then this will inform the hardware choices

(Especially If you are thinking about acoustic recording), do some proper research on cooling and fans, have a look at quiet PC website as having a noisy homemade PC is a PITA when you are mixing and mastering

don’t get too complex with your setup, even a basic mixing sequencing package, a few soft synths and drum packages will give you tons of possibilities

good luck 🙂

bigjim

I built my last music PC with Scan today only offer parts. Need a new one now, almost tempted to switch to Logic now it is cheap, but that would involve buying a Mac (shudder)

spchantler
    Free Member

nice one, thanx all. years ago i bought one from carillon, a dedicated music pc. had silent drives, and silent power supply etc and loads of damping stuff in a rackmount case, however i’ve just been told even the case won’t be compatible with a modern board 🙁 not sure what to do now

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Scan today only is a good call especially on the weekend when you can pick up pretty much everything you need.

I’d definitely recommend a K series Ivybridge I5 and a Z77 mobo, either Gigabyte or Asrock which I prefer, 8gb of ram is plenty, SSD system drive + a storage drive, a bare minimum 550w quality psu, cooling and case depend on budget. I’ve got pretty much that system but with a sandybridge cpu clocked to 4.7ghz and it munches through everything, renders in seconds and rarely goes over 30% cpu in live with 50+ vst instances running.

I make music as a hobby and build computers for a liviing so could put something together, give you some advice if needed.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Maplin are terrible- they keep old stock at its original price even when it’s totally outdated, and it chokes their shelves with crap since they can’t sell it.

I bought parts for a video editing rig in Maplins about 3 or 4 months ago. Great service, as cheap or cheaper than online retailers like amazon and I left knowing for sure it was all going to be gravy because we essentially walked round the store and built my pc there. Got home, took my time putting it together and it was spot on. Works perfectly and does exactly what I need it to.

mboy
    Free Member

Before building (or buying) your computer, think long and hard about the software you’re going to want to run and what you want to plug into the machine.

It’s got to be said, that not only is Logic MUCH cheaper than its competitors these days, its more and more widely used on a daily basis. Pro Tools has kinda fallen out of favour a bit, Cubase has almost gone by the wayside, and none of the others really have the all encompassing power of the big three, even if things like Ableton live are pretty good for specific types of music.

With that in mind, I’d really think long and hard about going down the mac route, or building a very good Hackintosh to run Logic. For advice on either, I can help as I’ve quite a bit of experience of both.

bigjim

50+ vst instances running.

you need to bounce more!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a motherboard and chipset’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts