Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a mortgage advisor in Edinburgh please
  • ojom
    Free Member

Buying this year and need to speak to a mortgage person

Can anyone recommend me one in the 'burgh?

Ta

atlaz
    Free Member

Got to be honest, the mortgage advisor I found couldn't find deals as good as I did by hitting the internet for a couple of days. They're useful to get an idea of what you want if you're not sure, but don't assume they'll get the best deals.

druidh
    Free Member

wot he said

ojom
    Free Member

its more the case we need advice on the correct mortgage for us. the finance will be dealt with separately i should imagine.

ta

oxnop
    Free Member

Alot of the best deals are only available direct now. As the above poster states it's better to search around yourself and contact the mortgage company direct.

The application process is really simple (all companies follow the same process and all quotes now need to look the same) so it's really easy to do. you'll feel smug knowing the ifa/mortgage broker hasn't made £ xxx's doing something you could do in 5mins with google.

ojom
    Free Member

thanks for that.

will commence googling in a fortnight.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Went to a couple down Leith Walk last year and I found them all to be a bit guff. They only seemed interested in selling what they wanted to sell if that makes sense?

Hit the internet and do some research. Have a look over here. Ask some questions.

bigsi
    Free Member

thebikechain – Sorry but the mortgage advisor will expect to arrange the finance for you unless you are prepaired to pay for the advice. Its how a mortgage advisor earns their living. Otherwise its like going into a bike shop and them sorting out the best/most suitable bike for you and then buying it direct on the internet.

An advisor will also be able to advise you who's criteria you will fit as well because this varys greatly from lender to lender and where as you may feel your circumstances are standard but many lenders may not see it that way.

Oh and unlike early/middle of last year many of the better deals are available via advisors as well as direct and the application process can sometimes be quite time consuming – HSBC have a minimum of 4 interview application process and only 10% of people who apply for a given rate end up with that. A good advisor should be able to tell you if you will qualify for the rate you want BEFORE the application goes in to them.

It all depends if you are prepaired to do alot of the leg work or let someone else do the chasing around for you plus will you understand all of the small print before applying or are you prepaired to take a punt on getting a deal that suits you. I always find there are alot of issues that people haven't thought about before applying for a mortgage.

Just a few points to think on.

ojom
    Free Member

thats a good point, i wasn't aware that's how they worked. probably naively! this will be our first time and only decided 2 days ago so we are a little insure of the process.

I intend visiting one anyway as we have a complicated (but excellent) situation.

bigsi
    Free Member

Thebikechain – I can't visit you in burgh as its a bit far but quite happy to help by e-mail. I'm a whole of market mortgage advisor with access to direct only deals as well on my sourcing system. My e-mail address is in my profile (sorry shameless plug) 😉

Or you can try here for ones that are local to you. Might be an idea to then have a chat with a few to see if you feel comfortable with one.

Please make sure you take whole of market advice not just independent advice or "advice" from the banks directly as they will just try to flog you their flavour of the week regardless of whats best for you as a client.

Good luck 😉

ojom
    Free Member

ace thanks for that. will email you some time!

geoffj

Arlene Addison @ The St James Place Partnership is excellent. I've used her for our main house and the buy 2 lets.

http://www.addison-cluley.co.uk/

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

London and Country – online and on the phone – not sure if they do Scotland, but if they do then I'd recommend them as they did my last two mortgages and I'm currently paying 0.67%

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a mortgage advisor in Edinburgh please’ is closed to new replies.