Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a mini-pump please
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Had a Topeak Mini Masterblaster DX for a good few years until it packed up in the Dales at the wrong moment last year. This was replaced with a Bontrager Air Support MTB which was good, but this has since packed up.

Can someone recommend me a decent pump thats durable and will last a good length of time?

I have just got a Lezyne HP Drive for the road bike and this seems very good build quality (and gets me up to 90psi) – is the MTB version as good?

Cheers in advance.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lezyne Road Drive is what I use, can get over 100psi no problem at all. I think its on suitable for presta valves though.

nbt

my choice is the Topeak Mountain Morph, mine’s lasted about 7 year so far and has just begun to get squeaky. Must get a road morph for the commuter…

z1ppy

MM +1

topangarider
    Free Member

Not really ‘mini’ though – I want to be able to frame mount it for SITS/MM and the like.

z1ppy

There are Mini version, though I wonder how effective they are, if it’s frame mounted it not like it really matter is it? Shirely a pump that won’t let you down is more important..
    BTW these thread tend to end up being a Lezyne vs Topeak MM, choice one or t’other 😉 ppl seem to like both.

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I use a MM to if you aren’t using a camelbak then they are a bit bulky. Personally I’d go for a http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-hv-drive-pump-2011/ assuming they’re as good as the more roadie orientated pressure drive mini that I have.

nbt

mm comes with a bottle cage mount, and as said if it’s frame mounted size isn’t that much of an issue – I want a road morph as the MM won’t fit in the top bag on my pannier rack

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really ‘mini’ though – I want to be able to frame mount it for SITS/MM and the like.

MM fits on the bottlecage mounts easily enough.

‘Mini’ pumps vs Mountain Morph:

Do you want to pump your tyre up to the correct pressure quickly, or stand there pumping and sweating like you’re having a Thomas Tank, forearms burning, to get 19psi in before ripping the valve off…?

The choice, as they say, is yours! 🙂

TiRed

Topeak Road Master-Blaster. I have two and love them. I’ve used them on other people’s bikes when their pumps have failed to deliver. Tiny, so fit inside a bag or frame fit.

topangarider
    Free Member

Seems a bit of confusion – I’m after an MTB pump.

PeterPoddy – that is of course your experience of minipumps. I have never had any issue with minipumps ripping valves off, perhaps you should take more care. As stated, I manage to get 90psi in the road tyres with my road mini pump pretty easily – and I’m sweating anyway, so whats the problem.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a MINI pump, i.e. approx 20cm long?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a MINI pump, i.e. approx 20cm long?

Topeak Mini Morph

topangarider
    Free Member

Mini morph seems more suited to roadie (high pressure)applications looking at some right-ups.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – that is of course your experience of minipumps. I have never had any issue with minipumps ripping valves off, perhaps you should take more care. As stated, I manage to get 90psi in the road tyres with my road mini pump pretty easily – and I’m sweating anyway, so whats the problem.

Road tyres are smaller then MTB tyres and a LOT easier and faster to pump up. The mini pump I bought years ago which was pretty useless on MTB tyres founnd it’s way onto my 700c commuter, where it worked pretty well. Still not as easy to use as a MM though. 🙂

And BTW, that was a very tongue-in-cheek post in case you missed the smiley….. 🙂

Just get a Mini Morph if a MM is too big, or wait around until someone lends you a MM, which will still be quicker than most mini pumps…..!

unovolo
    Free Member

If your happy with the Lezyne HP Drive pump,then why not get its sister the HV Drive pump,the HV standing for High Volume ie.MTB tyres.

Have used Topeak pumps before and much prefer the Lezyne pumps with the seperate hose,I have the Lezyne HP drive like yourself and use this on my MTB and road bike,OK the MTB takes more pumping from flat but it will do it enough to get you home where you can finish it off with a Track pump.

TiRed

OK, I’ll say it again… This time with the right pump 😳 Topeak Pocket Rocket. Turn the valve head around for Schrader valves. Mine serve my 29er and my 23c tyres.

turboferret

Do you want to pump your tyre up to the correct pressure quickly, or stand there pumping and sweating like you’re having a Thomas Tank, forearms burning, to get 19psi in before ripping the valve off…?

Very close to the mark there 😀

Cheers, Rich

topangarider
    Free Member

unovolo – that’s kinda what I’m asking; is the HV as good as the HP? I guess there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be, just wondering what the recommended alternatives are?

I guess the hose attachement is much less likely to go wrong than the fancy thumb-lever valve gubbins that’s failed on my last 2 pumps.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Make sure you get one with a hose attachment. Far easier to pump your tires up with.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a mini-pump please’ is closed to new replies.