Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a mini-disc player
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Just for bearnecessities*

😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I had a Sony, it died just out of guarantee.

grey_or_black

I have a Sony lying around if you’re interested. So far as I know it’s still working. Was a very nice thing back in the day.

northernmatt

I had a Sharp one, it was £250 new and worth about a tenth of that a year later when MP3 players appeared. Still got it somewhere.

scaredypants

minidisc? – pah

DAT; now that’s what I call music

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Used mine to copy old vinyl discs… Strangely the kids want to borrow the black discs, not the minidiscs… 😳

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a little Sony one. Cost me 60p. The sound quality is rubbish but hey I still get to play my old Phil Collins MD on it.

(Really, I’ve got a MDS-JB940 what I still uses 🙂 )

slowjo
    Free Member

I had a couple of Sony units. Really good quality etc, but just a PITA having millions of discs floating about. In the last week I threw both out along with a few hundred mini discs.

Couldn’t give them away and believe me, I tried.

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t ask me, didja??

brassneck

I used to love minidisc, wonder how long before they become the retro tech of choice. Guardians of the Galaxy 5?

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sony CD -> minidisc recorder unit if anyone want to make an offer 🙂

doris5000

i got one as a free gift when i bought a Nokia 3310 😀

nedrapier

If anyone’s got a smallish minidisc separate that they need to shift, let me know! I’ve got a box of minidiscs at home, wouldn’t mind seeing if there’s anything good in there.

I’m sure a lot of it’s stuff recorded from CD, or I’ve since got other copies of, but there might be some forgotten gems in there.

Ta 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Used to have one of those cassette shaped adapters that plugged into the tape player in the car, so you could listen to minidiscs. Awesome invention! Still got an in-car minidisc player in the garage somewhere.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i’ve still got my sony portable one and a few discs

The music player on my phone is annoying me so much at the moment I’m considering digging it out next time I go for a solo ride

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got 500+ field recordings from India on MD. dust and mds were a nightmare. Still got a few inc head unit for car and two HD with massive 1gb discs.

Cougar

I always thought they’d missed a trick in not doing a data version for PC storage to replace floppies. It wouldn’t work as-is for data though as it’s an inherently lossy format.

CountZero

If you can find one, the Sony MDP-JB940 is a superb machine. It has loads of editing functions, including variable fade-in-/out, titling using a PS/2 keyboard, one of which I was able to scrounge from work from a defunct PC.
    Brilliant for recording music from TV, I used to record Later… then set up the minidisc and put together mix-discs using the keyboard to put on artist/song titles, and fading in then out at each end. Worked really well.
    If slojo had actually tried a bit harder and asked on here I’d have happily taken the discs off his hands, as my Sony is still hooked into my system, using a TOSLink fibre optic ‘cable’, the quality is excellent as a result.
    The biggest flaw in Minidisc is Sony’s DRM, which meant only one copy can be made from a disc, and the ATRAC digital system is, like most Sony stuff, proprietary and unique to Sony.

goldfish24

I do miss buying the twenty box of blanks in the nice caddy, dubbing my CDs, entering the titles with the jog wheel, then writing on the tiny paper labels on the edge of the MD…

Ahhh, memories.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cap’n are you after a stack/deck or a mini MD Walkman style?

Ironically I’m going through my MD collection and have 3 MD portable players and a Sony JB920 stack on behind me.

I’m pi$$ed as I want to transfer my ATRAC to PC and have no way to copy a digital copy to my PC.

And an analogue copy will be crap.

Any ideas?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Connect the minidisc deck to the computer via optical/Toslink and capture the digital directly from that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Obv, wannit.

slowjo
    Free Member

Sony MDP-JB940 that’s what I had. Two of them.

😳

Northwind

Pair of Sony MZ-NH600s. No particular reason to have a pair, I bought one then I got another one as a free gift for opening a bank account, which I meant to sell but never did. I miss minidisk.

Cougar – Moderator

I always thought they’d missed a trick in not doing a data version for PC storage to replace floppies. It wouldn’t work as-is for data though as it’s an inherently lossy format.

They did, MD-Data. My brother still uses Hi-MD for his light/sound work.

dragon
    Free Member

Connect the minidisc deck to the computer via optical/Toslink and capture the digital directly from that?

How do you input optical into a laptop?

I have hi-fi deck and a portable in the loft, loved mini-disc, if only Sony had been more open with ATRAC they might have been a bigger player now rather than MP3.

Sony had to put DRM on it to persuade the record companies to get on board, otherwise it would have been another DAT, which ironically it did end up like.

Sonor
    Free Member

I had a Pioneer minidisc player, two sony MD walkman’s which I used with a sony mic to do live recording, and even had a Pioneer MD/radio player in the car.

The irritating thing is that the mic is excellent for recording, but only works with Sony gear. I’ve got them knocking about in the attic somewhere.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

dragon – Member
    How do you input optical into a laptop?
    I have hi-fi deck and a portable in the loft, loved mini-disc, if only Sony had been more open with ATRAC they might have been a bigger player now rather than MP3.
    Sony had to put DRM on it to persuade the record companies to get on board, otherwise it would have been another DAT, which ironically it did end up like.

Some MD players/decks have optical output and I had that plugged into optical input of my hifi CD optical input.

My sound card has optical input but I need software to rip the digital and not the analogue.

As I own the rights, I might just rip the FLAC version. music online.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a mini-disc player’ is closed to new replies.