• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a middle eastern cookbook
  • jonba
    Free Member

Vague geography I know. But on my travels to various places (Jordan, Turkey, Saudi) I’ve had some amazing food. I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations for cook books. Ideally a bit westernised somewhat so I can get the ingredients.

As an example I liked Harumi Kurihara for japanese (recommended on here) and Anjum Anand for Indian.

aP
    Free Member

Have you tried Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi – Israeli/ North African/ Eastern Mediterranean.
    Most ingredients are pretty available.

woffle
    Free Member

+1 for Ottolenghi

Nico
    Free Member

I’d heartily recommend anything by Claudia Roden. Her thing is Jewish cookery but from the point of view of someone born in Alexandria. Arabesque is a good start.

jonba
    Free Member

Ok, he has a good website with some recipes on. WIll try a few before I buy. Thanks,

aP
    Free Member

The Palomar book is good too. Going there next Saturday 🙂

Andy_K

+1 for Ottolenghi, probably not the “Nopi” book though, as that’s all the high end restaurant dishes.

funkynick

Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour is another good one…

And will back up the Ottolenghi recommendations as well, although not all the recipes are Middle Eastern in origin, they are all very tasty!

ElShalimo

Ottolenghi is always good

Honey & Co. is also very good.
    Clicky

legolam
    Free Member

We have Food of Life by Najmieh Batmanglij, which is a lovely Persian cookbook with some history stuff thrown in. I think she’s done more practical cookbooks too. We can get most of the ingredients in the ethnic shops on Westgate road in Newcastle.

slackboy

Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour is excellent

I also like Moro, even though its Spanish biased the moorish elements come through strongly.

Claudia Roden also great

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

moro cookbook as mentioned is great

jonba
    Free Member

legolam – Member

We can get most of the ingredients in the ethnic shops on Westgate road in Newcastle.

I should venture further than Gosforth high street. I go to the various Chinese/Asian supermarkets but never really venture that way.

Out of interest, any good restaurants out that way. Would love to find a decent middle eastern place or Korean (slightly off topic!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a middle eastern cookbook’ is closed to new replies.