Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me a messenger/laptop bag
  • tandemwarriors

Have just changed jobs and will be soon doing the 5 mile commute by bike.
    Need to carry laptop/folder/sandwiches. Used to carry books etc to and from uni in a rucksack but found it a bit sweaty. Not used the messenger style bag before but they look more comfortable, are they?

Thanks,
    Rob

spacemonkey

Do a forum search as this has come up before.

Maybe check out the Crumpler range although I’m not sure if they do anything hard enough for the worst that winter can throw at you. I love my Cheesy Disco BTW, but wouldn’t spoil it i bad weather.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Dakine messenger bag for 4 years now. I bought it to avoid the sweaty back which it does. I’m looking at getting a new one I fancy a change. Dakine

All our roller luggage is Dakine and it’s still going strong, even with my wife working offshore for three years. I recommend them.

mrmo
    Free Member

timbuk2 custom, could be 12years old i am not sure anymore! it just keeps on going. Been used as flight hand luggage, bike commuting, shopping etc..

twotonpredator

timbuk2 classic messenger. i got one about a month or so ago. best thing ever. fact.

theflatboy
    Free Member

as an alternative to a rucksack, messenger style bags are no more confortable or less sweaty in my experience. they just mean you can access what’s in them a bit more easily and they are a bit more flexible in fitting bulkier stuff in them.

for true sweatless comfort panniers are far preferable to both.

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    xc-steve
    Free Member
    vrapan
    Free Member

Bit more expensive but I really like my Ethnotek messenger bag. It is not very deep but will feet a 13″ laptop easy has internal padded case for laptop+ tablet, more pockets and compartments you can shake a stick at and it sits very comfortably and securely on the shoulder while cycling to work.

tandemwarriors

thanks chaps, will do a search too.

Cheers,
    Rob

toppers3933
    Free Member

Timbuk2 ftw.
    Had my first one 15 years when the Velcro finally gave up. Mentioned it on twitter about how ace they were and that I was sad it had finally given up. Got reply from timbuk2 offering to warranty the bag. Now have a nice new custom bag. The old bag has been retired off to climbing rope holding duty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Timbuk2 here.

Smart enough to carry in to a boardroom, tough enough to bash about, big enough for an overnight, and perfect as carry on.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I think unless you go custom, the Chinese made timbuk2 ones aren’t as good anymore.. I bought one the other day, and wasn’t that impressed with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Timbuk 2 messenger is not a laptop bag , there is no padding in it and does not protect the laptop in anyway nor your back…… I only mention it as the magnesium case on my laptop is now cracked 🙂 throwing it in and out of pick ups on a daily basis

Timbuk 2 do have a range of laptop padded case though

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A messenger back that goes across the top of the back is likely to be more sweaty than a rucksack as it wraps the back more – my Chrome certainly is.

Try to get one that can rest on your lower back/top of your hips as you don’t sweat there much – and a waterproof one can also provide some protection if you forget your mudguards.

TooTall
    Free Member

Panniers are less sweaty than anything on your back. I’ve used panniers, messenger bags and rucsacks and prefer the rucksack for commuting. The panniers were fine but all my mountain biking means I’m more used to the weight on me rather than on the bike and it feels better for me. Messenger bags are designed for fairly easy access to the bag whilst wearing it, not really for commuting.
    After all that, I still want a Bagaboo with the extra strap.

theflatboy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

A messenger back that goes across the top of the back is likely to be more sweaty than a rucksack as it wraps the back more – my Chrome certainly is.

mine isn’t(/aren’t) – the messenger bag fabric is much heavier and almost waterproof so does not give a good sweat situation compared to rucksack at least.

Stoner
    Free Member

I always recommend these on such threads
    http://www.courierwareusa.com/

a bit different and superb quality and all the custom options you might want. Mine’s been going strong for nearly 20 years.

aphex_2k
    Free Member
    MSP

I bought a timbuk2 following the recommendations on here a couple of months ago, and to be honest I am pretty disappointed with it. Build quality is pretty good, but there are a few design faults that seem quite obvious now I have used it, and looks like crumpler and chrome have addressed those points better.

zerocool

North Face do a good one. Available in several sizes. I’ve been commuting 16 miles a day with it in all conditions (inc last months sleet and snow) and never had any problems.
    Messenger bags look way cooler than panniers. But if you’ve got a lot of weight I’d probably get them.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve got a TNF base camp one I don’t use following a shoulder injury. Id sell it, if your interested email me.

myheadsashed
    theflatboy
    Free Member

good bag that, Neil – I have one identical and mine is in fact yellow! I recommend to any contemplative purchaser.

ndg
    Free Member

Laptops may not like the shock loads imposed on them being on the frame – I’d not put mine in paniers, which is a shame as I prefer riding with paniers over a rucksack.

TiRed

Why a bag – I use an Ortlieb Downtown briefcase fastened to a rack. Five miles would be my cut off for a messenger bag solution. In which case I also have a Chrome in bright orange.

Laptops may not like the shock loads imposed on them being on the frame – I’d not put mine in paniers

Mine’s suffered no ill effects over the past 18 months of commuting – about 3500 miles. I have a laptop insert for the laptop.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only bit of being in a pannier my laptop didnt like was a passat driving into it when trying to stop me filtering

stevenc
    Free Member

Timbuk2. Dare I say the best bags on the market? I have mine 4 years now and it has never let me down. Everyday to college/work, laptop, lab coat, tools, books. It all fits in no bother and it fits comfortably and is water proof. If mine ever dies it will be replaced with another one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Timbuk2. Dare I say the best bags on the market

You may, but you’d be wrong 😉

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Bagaboo bags are great. You even get to chose your own design and colours. Made of very tough materials. Hard wearing and very waterproof. Had mine for a few years and still looks great.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Chrome bag. Touch as nails and completely waterproof and looks good to boot!

grievoustim
    Free Member

my chrome bag is about 5 or 6 year old now and still going strong as ever – waterproof as anything. The seatbelt style of the buckle is the best for fast on/ off adjustments

I just put my work laptop in a sleeve inside the main bag – loads of room for shopping etc. i have had some crazy big packages etc in it

I recently got a timbuk 2 x-small for when I just want to carry my d lock/ a book/ gloves/ lights/ whatever. It’s fine but compared to the quality of the chrome it’s like a toy. And the top of the bag “gapes” open a little – meaning water would almost certainly get in in a downpour. Seems like careless design to me. The buckles, clips and method of adjustment feel over complicated and flimsy compared to the chrome as well

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Berghaus 30+6 freeflow – commutastic and not particularly sweaty.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a messenger/laptop bag’ is closed to new replies.