Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a mechanical pump for the car
  • pnik

Ive got a crappy halfords single barrel that twists more than chubby checker in his hay day, that the hose has perished on, so let out air rather than added last night!

Dont really want anything that requires plugging in or batteries. Occassional use for topping up family cars, used the bike pump in the end but pretty inefficient (bontrager flash!). All the foot pumps seem to be super flimsy these days.

andybrad

i couldn’t find a decent one at reasonable price. Bought a little compressor for a tenner.

scotroutes

I bought a double chamber footpump off Amazon. Being wider, it does resist twisting a bit better.

nickjb
    Free Member

They’ve all been pretty rubbish IME. Fail at some point and probably when you need it most. Like Andy we have a little electric compressor. Small enough to leave in the boot and it works really well

pnik

OK thanks, a double might be a bit better, but maybe a compressor is the way to go, just like things to be mechanical if they can be. Too much is electric/electronic because it can be not because it needs to be.

johnners
    Free Member

I just use my Joe Blow for checks and top ups, I’ve one of the little electric pumps but usually can’t be bothered, plus my accessory sockets aren’t live unless the engine’s running. The track pump would be a bit of a chore if there was much pumping to do though!

properbikeco
    Free Member

as above, get a decent bike track pump – dual purpose!

nickjb
    Free Member

plus my accessory sockets aren’t live unless the engine’s running

Never seen that in a car. Usually just need the key in the second position

johnners
    Free Member

Never seen that in a car. Usually just need the key in the second position

Probably I’m doing it wrong, it does seem daft. There’s no key position, the fob just goes in the hole. The radio works when it’s in there so I thought that would count as the “acc”.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Is it a BMW by any chance? With ours you need to put the fob in the hole and then press the start button. This doesn’t start the engine if you don’t have your foot on the clutch. Sounds daft but that is the only way to get the ignition on without the engine running.

scotroutes

Similar process with our Toyota. Press the Start button without your foot on the clutch to switch on electrics.

stumpy01

I bought a footpump for the car – can’t remember the brand, but it was a reputable one & wasn’t that cheap. It’s rubbish. It’s a twin barrel, but takes as long if not longer than just using my track pump. And it squeaks like I’m stamping on mice when using it.

I’ve gone back to using the track pump….

johnners
    Free Member

Is it a BMW by any chance? With ours you need to put the fob in the hole and then press the start button. This doesn’t start the engine if you don’t have your foot on the clutch. Sounds daft but that is the only way to get the ignition on without the engine running.

Yup, that works, thanks. Simple user error/ignorance! It does make the “!” light up and warning gong sound but I view that as an added bonus.

Nico
    Free Member

I use a Michelin pump from Halfords. I’m on my second one because the hose started leaking where it joins the body – Halfords replaced without much quibbling. I use it for bikes rather than using a bike pump for my car. My car always seems to have leaky wheels so it gets used quite regularly and it’s cheaper than gym membership.

Sundayjumper

Get a small electric pump, honestly. I’ve got what must be the older version of THIS. You set the pressure you want, leave it running while you do something else, and it stops when it reaches that pressure. It is SO much easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a mechanical pump for the car’ is closed to new replies.