Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a lock
  • wolly
    Free Member

I need a lock for when i leave my bike outside the gym, whats good?

simondbarnes
    wolly
    Free Member

Wow £200 i know thats not much compared to the bike but still

simondbarnes

What’s the value of the bike? I’d only ever leave my fixie hack bike locked up anywhere and even then not for very long.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aldi are doing a decent-looking motorbike lock for £10 at the moment.

You’ll get a workout carrying it to the gym too, so no need to warm up.

🙂

wolly
    Free Member

about £1200 i know the suggested is at least 10%. The gyms by it self cctv everywhere and the bike storage is next to the entrance so should be quite secure

RRD
    Free Member

Wolly

If you are near a Decathlon they have a Gold Rated lock for pretty much the cheapest price I could find when I looked into this a while back. Halfords looks also come in cheaper than others too, if I remember correctly.

(I’m presuming your minimum requirement is a Gold Standard lock, as the reviews I read seemed to indicate anything else could be broken pretty easily).

Northwind

The security standards are a bit of a joke tbh. Only really relevant for insurance purposes (they’re based entirely on attacking the locks with the wrong tools “This lock stood up to our hammer attacks and took 2 minutes to grind through!” but it cut in 2 seconds with a boltcutter. Or likewise trying to cut cable locks with a hacksaw instead of a cable cutter. Nonsense like that.

(the justification is that most bikes are stolen with these tools- which is true, but most bikes are badly locked. Testing half-decent locks with the tools that work on useless locks is absurd. Most people murdered are murdered with knives, so we’ll test this bullet proof vest against knives not bullets!)

Anyway. How much of a ride is it? got space for another bike? A cheapo commuter/pub bike costs less than a good quality lock and also protects your wheels, saddle, etc.

gazc
    Free Member

lots of info here

how you lock it is as important as the lock you use. 80% of the bikes locked up in the stands i park my commuter in could be nick just using a long piece of timber/bar as a lever!

wolly
    Free Member

cheers for the advice, i had seen a ‘gold standard’ lock on amazon that was cheap but quickly reconsidering that now. Cheap lock

godzilla
    Free Member

Just get the something like in Oxford hardcore XL and leave the chain chained there permanantly.

chip
    Free Member

If you leave a heavy sleeved chain permanently chained outside somewhere.
    It has been known for thieves to cut a link hidden in the sleeve when the bike is not chained, less busy, people less likely to challenge someone cutting a chain that is not actually securing anything.

They rejoin the chain using strong cable ties and then comeback when your bike is chained and only need side cutters or strong scissors to liberate your bike.

I have read this being done quite a few times to people chaining expensive motorbikes up outside work.

chip
    Free Member

I have a hack bike I use for any occasion which requires me to leave my bike chained and un attended for more than a minute.
    Then I use a kryptonite New York M18 i think its called and good cable lock.

When out on my mtb I only take the cable lock as it is only locked while I nip into a shop but then I will only do this if the counter is near the door and I can lock the bike in clear view nearby.

wolly
    Free Member

Hmmm I think i go for a good d lock and cable

joolsburger
    Free Member

I would never leave a 1200 pound bike locked outside. Get a 100 pound hack bike for the gym/pub/station etc etc.

Northwind

wolly – Member

cheers for the advice, i had seen a ‘gold standard’ lock on amazon that was cheap but quickly reconsidering that now.

It’ll offer pretty reasonable protection- thing about D-locks is that you need the right tools and knowhow to break them. Best portable option, and any reasonable quality one will do a decent job. (as long as the tails of the D are made right, the lock is alright, and it’s not made of cheese) I entrust my beautiful 1991 Carrera to an inexpensive D-lock and so far nobody has stolen it 😉

jock-muttley

try these … well worth the money http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

eyerideit
    Free Member

Kryptonite NY fahgetaboutit or an Abus steel-o-flex both sold secure gold, should make any casual sh1tbag think twice.

Northwind

Aye, you need a reasonable size cropper or cable cutter respectively to get through those quickly. It’ll stop anyone with pocketable tools.

jock-muttley

Aye, you need a reasonable size cropper or cable cutter respectively to get through those quickly

The almax chains will stop virtually anything “stealthy and silent” they are only vulnerable (eventually) to stuff like a gas axe, still saw or a hydraulic cropper… 😯

Northwind

Yup. But do you want to carry one to the gym (and probably bolt it to a mild steel or cast iron rack?) and still have someone nick all the other parts on your expensive bike if you want (or, cut the frame?)

(my post was about the kryptonites, in case that was causing confusion!)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lock’ is closed to new replies.