Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a lightweight single ring chainset
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

As per title, to suit 44 or 46tooth chainring.

Are HTII style cranksets lighter than square taper?

raisinhat
    Free Member

For a mountain bike or a road bike?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its for a road bike but I’m also wondering if I could get away with an mtb chainset using the outer ring position or would the chain line likely be all wrong?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    raisinhat
    Free Member

I would suspect the chainline would be too far out if you used an mtb crankset in the outer ring tabs. Take a look at Tokyo Fixed Gear

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks for the link….£250 for square taper single ring sugino though :-(…

orangeboy
    Free Member

You maybe be able to get a used campy Chainset off eBay
    Record alloy ones are very light just not sure about rings in the size you want

Or some old fsa carbon chainsets they were made in mtb and road versions

watsontony
    Free Member

dont know if it helps but crc have fsa after burner rrp over 250 for 75. been thinking about getting one my self but decided against it

edhornby

chainline depends on the frame, is it freewheel or fixed? if it’s a fixed gear, don’t bodge it because if they fail sods law says it’s when you are going at speed and will try to chuck you off… square tapers are heavier but not that much in the grand scheme of things

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Currently running freewheel. Could go fixed, but wasn’t planning on it.

Could I put the outer chainring in the middle chainring position on some of the triple set ups suggested?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Is it a freewheel at the back like this: BMX freewheel or is it a freewheel that would accept a cassette but instead has a single cog and a bunch of spacers on it?

If you put an outer chainring onto the middle tabs of a crankset it’ll work, and give you the chainline you need, but it’ll look hideous. The expensive sugino ones are their track range, you can get a messenger for £100.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lightweight single ring chainset’ is closed to new replies.