Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a lightweight offroad tyre that doesn't puncture almost every ride.
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

I have some Continental Explorers which have driven me to distraction with all the flats i've had because of them. I cannot remember a trye that is so unreliable!

For the vast majority of my riding i'm on singletrack in undulating terrain with climbs/decents of no more than 100-150ft. No tricks, just a nice smooth steady riding.

So what do you recommend?

Kahurangi

Tubeless?

What's causing your flats? Thorns or snakebites?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Thorns! We don't have many snakes near me (but i did see a 3ft one once) 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

That's odd that tyre used to be the most puncture prone tyre within our little group.
    Are you using the standard wire version?

What price break are you looking at?

I never venture off road without anti puncture tape with any tyre.

I use Panaracer Flataway, but instead of sticking it to the inside of the tyre as the instructions tell you, I sandwich it between two layers of Duck tape and push it into place. Lasts longer that way and the Kevlar doesn't chafe the inner tube (something they don't tell you).

Believe me it solves a lot of problems.

uplink
    Free Member

Just ghetto tubeless them
    It's simple – a half wit could do it – & you can say bye bye to all those thorn punctures

specializedneeds

Punctures are the reason I went tubeless 3 years ago. I used to have at least one per ride, sometimes more. Now I can count on one hand the number of tyre related mechanicals I've had in all that time. I ride 3 or 4 times a week, so that's a lot of trouble free miles. In fact I fail to see why anyone still uses inner tubes TBH. I've used a mix of standard and tubeless ready tyres with Stan's kits on standard rims, perfect.

oldgit
    Free Member

I went Tubeless in 2005 it certainly works, but isn't failproof. You also need to practice your repair routine with them. Some can be a mare to get on and off and you need to make sure you get remove the valve.
    I had one set that took 40 minutes to get on and off during a race. I changed the tyre brand and that was never a problem again.

I went back to tubes last year and just buy quality tyre and tubes, a tube after all is what you'll need when the Tubeless fails. And I carry Co2 so puntures take two minutes to sort, or they used to ironically I've not had one since.

Back to tubeless. The best working combo I had was Mavic 819s fitted with Bontragers and Bontrager juice.

sockpuppet

if you can' be bothered with tubeless (although it is the way of the future) just get some tubes with removeable valve cores and stick about 30-40ml of wheelmilk in each one.

the extra weight is well worth the lack of thorn type punctures, and it's faffless to do

Ti29er
    Free Member

Tubeless.
    I had up to 3 punctures a ride locally.
    Not any more, I'm tubeless.
    Bonty ACX tryes – excellent choice.
    Finally – tubeless!

Spongebob
    Free Member

That's odd that tyre used to be the most puncture prone tyre within our little group.

oldgit, don't you mean punture reistant?

Are you using the standard wire version?

Yep, not really bothered with shelling out twice as much for kevlar bead instead of steel just to save a few grams.

Thanks to all for the advice. I thought tubeless tyres would be very expensive and difficult to repair/re-inflate if I got a flat. Like if the tyre came away from the rim, dirt prevented a reseal and I couldn't get enough puff from my pump to reflate etc.

uplink
    Free Member

I thought tubeless tyres would be very expensive and difficult to repair/re-inflate if I got a flat. Like if the tyre came away from the rim, dirt prevented a reseal and I couldn't get enough puff from my pump to reflate etc.

Not at all
    On the trail you'd just pop a tube in until you get home & then add some sealant & re-inflate then
    Saying that, I've only ever had to do that once in the last 4 years & that was following a crash – I simply don't get punctures anymore

njee20
    Free Member

To answer the question in hand though, Schwalbe Rocket Rons seem pretty good, admittedly not stunningly puncture proof, but not bad, and work well tubeless, otherwise the Racing Ralph gets my vote.

Whatever you do though, run tubeless, it's the only way to go!

oldgit
    Free Member

No I meant it did puncture a lot the Explorer and the other one it usedto go with.
    A better quality tyre is less prone to punctures, is it do with the threads per inch?
    I run Racing Ralphs all year they are still on now and I'll be going over to Rocket Rons when these wear.
    Anyroadup the standard one you have isn't light so you could try the basic Schwalbe Jimmy. A pretty good all rounder I did use Skinny Jimmy Lights and Jimmy USTs.

mildred

Tubeless – I have a ridiculous amount of thorns in my tyres but not lost much pressure in 6 months. I use 819's with Bontrager tubeless ready tyres and Stans solution. I don't bother taking the thorns out.

Northwind

Another for tubeless here, though I've never really had many issues with punctures. But, if that's not working out some people swear by downhill inner tubes. Not quite convinced myself, I figure that if a thorn gets through the tougher outer case of the tyre it's going to go through a tube too.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Went tubeless 8 years ago (came with a bike I bought). No punctures ever since. It does get boring standing around waiting for people to fix punctures though, I kinda feel left out. 🙂

Kahurangi

In your situation, if you don't want to do tubeless 'ghetto' style, I'd do this

if you can' be bothered with tubeless (although it is the way of the future) just get some tubes with removeable valve cores and stick about 30-40ml of wheelmilk in each one.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you can't get enough pressure in, and there's a knack involving washing up liquid – give it (along with the various bits if you're keeping costs down) to your LBS.
    They'll do if and off you go!
    It means you can run lower pressures which works a treat when you're off-piste. It's transformed my riding of Dalby & Cannock especially.

oldgit
    Free Member

@ spongebob
    Although I don't use tubeless any more I would still recommend it.
    I only went back to tubes because I swapped tyres about constantly for racing which meant breaking any seal or disturbing any punctures and wasting Bonty Juice. On one occasion I found both front and rear had punctures but were fine until I disturbed them, for some reason they never sealed again?

TheSlider
    Free Member

"On the trail you'd just pop a tube in until you get home & then add some sealant & re-inflate then…."
    So you STILL have to carry a tube then ? I had a new bike some years ago that had a tubeless wheel set-up but I changed straight back to the 'normal' set-up where you have to carry a tube…oh hang on…???

stevomcd
    Free Member

So you STILL have to carry a tube then ?

Yup, you have to carry one in your pack just in case. Which is better than 2 on your back and 2 on your bike.

Or, if it's a short/non-remote ride or you just fancy the odds, don't bother.

For me, tubeless = zero punctures in a whole summer of guiding.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yup, you have to carry one in your pack just in case. Which is better than 2 on your back and 2 on your bike.

or two tubes in your tryes and a puncture repair kit.

I had a Conti Explorer actually explode on me after a some "good advice" to run the tyres at max rated pressure. The wall just suddenly burst on a flat section of trail (it was a long walk home).

Although I didn't ask or expect it, I got a replacement from Continental as the tyre was not that old and was within the pressures embossed on the tyre.

I think i'll try the Schwalbees next.

singletrackmind

I wouldnt waste your money on Shwalbes.
    Try Maxxis Advantage , or a High Roller Single ply.
    I recomend wheel milk in your tubes, If you run presta Halfrauds stock continental tubes with removable core. remove core, inject water in to wash out the talc thats already in there, drain as much as possible tehn add roughly 100ml wheel milk, plus 100 slime. If you dont wash the talc out teh latex goes off in a couple of months and makes a rattly sound.

duir
    Free Member

I heard the maxxis crossmark is very puncture proof and super fast rolling. It should also be light and at 2.1 should be fine. Only thing is they are a bit slippy in the wet they say.

IA

Crossmarks are good, exceptions are spanky light but tear easily on very rocky stuff. Though that'll depend on rider weight/style etc. I'm >80kg and do like to cane it.

njee20
    Free Member

I know a number of people who've had big problems with Crossmarks, shame as they look good.

IA

Well although i've torn mine – i've never actually flatted from it. Though I think they'd not hold up to running tubeless.

ononeorange

Wow – imagine not having punctures! At least 2 or 3 a ride.

I intend to give tubless a cautious trial, solely due to ****ing punctures.

Schwalbes don't work well round here the Chilterns – (if you're heavy) – the flints tear them to bits.

njee20
    Free Member

It must be the weight thing, at 11 stone I've never ever trashed a Schwalbe, often run them at 20-25psi.

Tubeless is a true revelation, I'd never go back to tubes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lightweight offroad tyre that doesn't puncture almost every ride.’ is closed to new replies.