Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The rear tyre holy grail……..
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve got my winter tyres sorted and am enjoying a high roller on the front for most of the year. What I need is a tyre that rolls well, is reasonably light, good for most conditions and no bigger than a 2.35 high roller

What are some choices you would recommend? My riding style is quite aggressive and I like to lean the bike over quite a bit when cornering.

angryratio
    Free Member

Winter tyres?

Don’t scare the sun that is left away please…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Er, a 2.35 High Roller . . . oh, light . . . sorry.

jam-bo

Advantage.

nuke

Aspen

chvck
    Free Member

Larsen TT

osteo1
    Free Member

continental der baron black chilli compound… love it! bit pricey though

kudos100
    Free Member

Thinking of a 2.1 advantage, but not sure how light they are?

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve just put another Advantage on the back of mine in 2.1 flavour. Doesn’t come up much smaller than the 2.35 minion up front. In terms of weight, IIRC, they come in just less than 600g

Roll pretty well and hook up decent enough for a rear.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Thinking of a 2.1 advantage, but not sure how light they are?

550g in eXCeption flavour

625g for a 70a folder

705g for a wire beaded 70a

julianwilson
    Free Member

Advantage. Small block 8.

neninja
    Free Member

Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 black chilli roll surprisingly well and lots of grip

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Specialized Storm Control 2.0’s… Front and back.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I run an Aspen on the rear of my AM bike. It seems to roll far better than anything I’ve used before (and that includes SB8s). Depending on conditions I’ll run a High Roller or a Nevegal up front.

My XC bike runs a Spesh Roll X up front paired with a Captain at the back.

GW
    Free Member

a 60a Bling Bling does what you describe beautifully but Maxxis discontinued them a few years back, as a compromise an old bald 60a single ply minion DHF has similar characteristics. I’m not a huge fan of Kenda’s and haven’t even seen one in the flesh but I’m liking the look of Kenda BBGs as a possible replacement.

kudos100
    Free Member

Interesting. Why did maxxis discontinue it? Seems a bit daft, if it was a great tyre…..

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Aspen rear, High Roller front… Great combo.

stevede
    Free Member

I run a Larsen tt 2.35 single ply super tacky on the back of my Pitch with a st HR 2.35 up front, great combo and the Larsen gives loads more grip than it really should given the tread pattern, i tend to put a High Roller back on around the end of September, Swampthings only come out for the real bad stuff as they are quite draggy for trail riding.

GW
    Free Member

kudos, the dumbasses discontinued 40a compound on their DH tyres too you’d really need to ask them as to why?
    it’s a very specific tyre, possibly even too “niche” to sell well 😉
    you need to really trust the edge grip as it will drift very easily on anything loose when not leant over far enough. I love them all year round but I’m much happier going sideways than most.

kudos100
    Free Member

I like the sound of them, might try the kenda BBG. Drifting sideways is what it is all about!

GW
    Free Member

if they’re any good you can get me one too as a “thank you” pressie for the heads up if you like 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

No problem, just deposit £100 in my paypal account and I’ll send you out a present 😉

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

just been in the same position myself and got a maxxis ardent. it fits the bill. good all rounder (mud and rock) and breaks slightly before the front.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The rear tyre holy grail……..’ is closed to new replies.