Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Recommend me a light hearted funny novel please!!!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

In the search for a few novels to put on the Christmas list, gonna go and check some more out in the book store tomorrow. I like light hearted easy to read stuff. Nothing too long (over 300 pages-ish), no microscopic writing, and one thing I HATE is too many comma’s. If there’s comma’s every five words or so I find it really hard to read.

A few I’ve really liked over the last year or two are Charlotte street by Danny Wallace, Ghosts and Lightning by Trevor Byrne, and just recently a Touch of Love by Cameron Coe, (That one was probably the biggest effort to read out of all of them but still some nice parts to it).

Thanks all!

CountZero

Well, if you can hack something that will teach you stuff, as well as having you giggling like an idiot, I can recommend, without hesitation, pretty much anything by Bill Bryson. A very funny writer indeed.

bri-72

Chris brookmyres stuff

Cougar

Chris brookmyres stuff

+1.

Douglas Adams.
    Terry Pratchett.
    Robert Rankin.
    Jasper Fforde.
    Tom Holt.
    Robert Asprin.

For starters.

Tiger6791

The Bible

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brookmyre +2 and anything by John Niven.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The restraint of beasts

rudebwoy
    Free Member

alexi sayle’s books /novels are funny –if you like his style of course….

feckless
    Free Member

Cooking with Fernet Branca
    Amazing Disgrace
    Rancid Pansies

All by James Hamilton Paterson

Central character is a hack writer of celebrity biographies who goes in for curious but entirely plausible culinary experiments (liver smoothies and badger wellington are two of the more palatable examples).

Very cynical, very odd, very funny.

sc-xc

Lighthearted, but not laugh-out-loud funny

Joolz Denby

I love Bill Bryson, Tom Sharpe and David Lodge for funny.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Brookmyre +1

And most of John O’Farrell’s work is pretty readable – The Best a Man Can Get, May Contain Nuts, This is Your Life.

matther01
    Free Member

Brookmyre+1

I also really enjoyed Mike Gayle novels, especially Mr Commitment – youthful nostalgia and how funny relationships between a couple can be.

takisawa2

“The Passage” by Justin Cronin.

Its not exactly your spec but its a good read.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bryson, Fforde, Pratchett, Adams, all very good pointers.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I’m not sure how to spell it;

the kurran.

Northwind

Brookmyre is funny but more dark-hearted than lighthearted I reckon 😆

sausagefingers
    Free Member

another +1 for brookmyre

just finished ‘shit my dad says’ by justin halpern which i’ve had for a while but never got round to it as i never fancied it but it’s one of the few books that genuinely had me in tears

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The best light hearted funny novel I’ve ever read is ‘Pest Control’ by Bill Fitzhugh. A comedy of errors, **** brilliant.
    A mate of mine has a 2nd hand bookshop & he reckons he can’t get enough copies of it.

EDIT, ‘Shit My Dad Says’ is also hilarious!

igrf
    Free Member

I used to get moments of eye streaming laughter from some Tom Sharpe novels, Riotous assembly springs to mind, but there are a few others, something Wilt as I recall.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

can’t believe i forgot ‘riotous assembly’.
    konstable els is one of the greatest comic creations ever – genius!

gab344
    Free Member

Spike Milligan’s war memoirs are just packed full of stuff that makes me shoot coffee through my nose, halfway across the room…..

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

50 Shades of Grey 😳 8)

When you get over the shock of the first book, Anastasia’s “inner goddess” is hilarious. 😆

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The humour is dark rather than light-hearted but John Niven’s Kill Your Friends is the funniest novel I’ve read in years.

TheFlyingOx

Any of the Latin American Trilogy by Louis De Bernieres:

The War Of Don Emmanuel’s Nether Parts
    Senor Viva And The Coca Lords
    The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman

Superb books, touching, funny, exceptionally well written. I’d say he’s my favourite author by a long shot.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try Jumping Ships by David Baboulene.

lucien

anything by John Niven

The humour is dark rather than light-hearted but John Niven’s Kill Your Friends is the funniest novel I’ve read in years.

The one about Jesus, God and smoking dope (same author) was also pretty good – awesome books.

skink2020

Carl Hiassen.

ezzy
    Free Member

Carl Hiasesn, Tom Sharpe and the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin by David Nobbs.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

This is brilliant – particularly if you are a child of the 70s:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41038.The_Rotters_Club

bencooper
    Free Member

Funny, dark, a bit twisted – well, it is Scandinavian:

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you remember the eighties and had any interest in video games then this is great. More comic thriller than purely light hearted but it’s a fun read nevertheless.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, gonna make my way into the book shop now and check some of them out.

IHN

Ben Aaranovitch (sp?) Rivers of London series.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m prepared to bet my house* on the fact you haven’t posted this on LFGSS…

😉

*wendy house. Out the back. Needs some work.

CheesybeanZ

Bill Bryson , A walk in the woods or The life and times of the thunderbolt kid . 😆

peterfile
    Free Member

Absurdistan 🙂

piemann
    Free Member

Milk, suplhate and Alby Starvation by Martin Millar.

Easily one of the funniest books I’ve ever read.

DezB
    Free Member

Ardal O’Hanlan’s book is great here. Seems to be the only one he’s ever written though.

If “The missing link between Dick Emery and Bret Easton Ellis” appeals – Charlie Higson. He seems to have gone into “books for teens”…

martinhutch

Wind the clock back and start with some vintage PG Wodehouse. Proper laugh out loud stuff*.

*Subjectively speaking, of course.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Okay, some of those authors were NOT light hearted 😐 . There was a couple of sci fi writers in there and a crime writer. There was me walking around the general fiction section wondering why I couldn’t find them until I asked lol. I’m not really into that kind of writing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a light hearted funny novel please!!!’ is closed to new replies.