Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a knot…
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have a small tree which is leaning over and I want to pull back vertical. Close buy is a concrete fence post with a metal loop. What knott should I use on a bit of rope to secure it?

benp1

Round turn and two (or maybe three) half hitches

whitestone
    Free Member

Bowline around the post (easy to undo after being loaded)
    Just loop around the tree back towards the post.
    Trucker’s hitch just in front of the bowline
    Thread rope through trucker’s hitch (you now have a pulley system)
    Pull until the tree is vertical
    Tie off rope using half hitches

Cougar

Coming soon: “how do I repair a concrete fence post?” (-:

joat

Coming soon: “how do I repair a concrete fence post?” (-:

And why have I taken the bark off my tree?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

clove hitch, easy to tie, easy to adjust, easy to untie no matter how much tension it’s been under.

vongassit
    Free Member

“clove hitch, easy to tie, easy to adjust, easy to untie”

We call these “Dick knots” because if you put a lot of strain through them, you then need a rope spanner (Knife) to undo them.

You want a rolling hitch I say.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Farrimond hitch, which a friend invented !

http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimond/#ScrollPoint

dovebiker

Zeppelin bend – specially designed for securing airships and other large objects 😉

bruneep

Can’t tie knots? tie lots.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We call these “Dick knots” because if you put a lot of strain through them, you then need a rope spanner (Knife) to undo them.

We seem to manage pulling a 2500kg ski boat and trailer up a steep ramp, usually with a few heavy jolts, then just whip the hitch off, but whatever.

Cougar

Farrimond hitch, which a friend invented !

That’s kinda cool. It looks a lot like a prussick loop, only with a quick release.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It really doesn’t matter what knot you use to tie a rope to a tree! Just make sure you protect the tree. I’d also suggest you rework the soil to straighten it from the ground as it’ll end up with all sorts of funky bends otherwise.

DT78
    Free Member

It’s only a small thing from what I can tell it’s been leaning for some time and with damp soil it’s keeled over. Plan is to get it vertical and secure build up the soil and help the roots recover.

Otherwise it’s in good shape. Looks like the sort that comes out in nice blue flowers.

timber

I would also suggest investigating why it’s leaning. Unless it is still young enough to be trained, it will either stay put, snap the rope or take the post with it.

Does it lean out towards the light? Unbalanced crown? Root damage? Under a bigger tree?

ninfan
    Free Member

Waggoners hitch, then you can tighten it up a bit at a time

ourmaninthenorth

+1 whitestone – bowline and a trucker’s hitch.

bodgy
    Free Member

Looks like the sort that comes out in nice blue flowers.

It’s a Ceanothus. They are notoriously ‘leany’, especially if they are planted in shade. Drive a massive post into the ground using a post driver, and use the widest ratchet strap that you can find to pull it upright. Secure it with the widest tree tie that you can find. Don’t be surprised if it dies in a couple of years time.

Or just prune it out of your way.

seadog101

Start with a loose clove hitch on the tree, then take a few wraps around the tree to get plenty of friction but not much pressure.

Then a truckers hitch onto the post.

How big are they both?

CountZero

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Half Windsor – what colour? I think yellow with red spots. Remember silk is best BUT only quality silk, the quality of the silk some so called leading brands use these days is a scandal!

kayak23

Don’t tie it back, train it into a table or something…

[video]http://youtu.be/EA9PlPNAMUQ[/video]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a knot…’ is closed to new replies.